* Adding "foreign" submitters and CC's to bugzilla reports doesn't work
@ 2003-05-24  7:57 Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2003-05-24  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: gcc

When forwarding reports from the Debian BTS to GCC GNATS, I could
explicitely set the submitter (the submitter of the Debian report) and
the email address (of the Debian bug report). Currently even adding an
<debian bug number>@bugs.debian.org to a report doesn't work anymore.

Is there a way to work around these or give me bugzilla permissions
to add these addresses

Thanks, Matthias

* Re: Adding "foreign" submitters and CC's to bugzilla reports doesn't work
@ 2003-05-24 15:17 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-05-24 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: gcc

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 03:08  AM, Matthias Klose wrote:

> When forwarding reports from the Debian BTS to GCC GNATS, I could
> explicitely set the submitter (the submitter of the Debian report) and
> the email address (of the Debian bug report). Currently even adding an
> <debian bug number>@bugs.debian.org to a report doesn't work anymore.

Sorry, there are no provisions for external (IE non-bugzilla account
holder) cc's.
They have to have accounts.
Adding external cc support would likely take at least a month, and i'm
just not up for it right now.

> Is there a way to work around these or give me bugzilla permissions
> to add these addresses
>
> Thanks, Matthias

* bug submitters not converted from GNAT to bugzilla
@ 2003-05-25  8:51   ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2003-05-25  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: gcc

Daniel Berlin writes:

> On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 03:08  AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>
> > When forwarding reports from the Debian BTS to GCC GNATS, I could
> > explicitely set the submitter (the submitter of the Debian report) and
> > the email address (of the Debian bug report). Currently even adding an
> > <debian bug number>@bugs.debian.org to a report doesn't work anymore.
> >
> Sorry, there are no provisions for external (IE non-bugzilla account
> holder) cc's.
> They have to have accounts.
> Adding external cc support would likely take at least a month, and i'm
> just not up for it right now.

what is worse, that _all_ the addresses from the GNATS submitter
fields cannot be found in bugzilla anymore. See PR10888 for
example. In http://bugs.debian.org/193049 in the message
20030520215917.15973.qmail@sources.redhat.com,
bonnaud@irancy.lis.inpg.fr is still CCed, but not present in bugzilla
anymore. I didn't count the affected reports, but this may be ~80 open
reports, which were forwarded from the Debian archives.

* Re: bug submitters not converted from GNAT to bugzilla
@ 2003-05-25 16:30     ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-05-25 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: gcc

On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 04:16  AM, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Daniel Berlin writes:
>>
>> On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 03:08  AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>>
>>> When forwarding reports from the Debian BTS to GCC GNATS, I could
>>> explicitely set the submitter (the submitter of the Debian report)
>>> and
>>> the email address (of the Debian bug report). Currently even adding
>>> an
>>> <debian bug number>@bugs.debian.org to a report doesn't work anymore.
>>>
>> Sorry, there are no provisions for external (IE non-bugzilla account
>> holder) cc's.
>> They have to have accounts.
>> Adding external cc support would likely take at least a month, and i'm
>> just not up for it right now.
>
> what is worse,

Sorry, it's not all that bad to begin with.
You implied in private mail that this is somehow a missing feature.
It's not really. GNATS had no email preferences.  Bugzilla has per-user
email preferences.  External cc's don't mesh well with each user being
able to control what email they receive, since they *aren't* users.
It's not an easy problem. Consider
1. What do you do if they later become a user?  Move all the
external-cc's to be regular cc's?  This will cause them to be subject
to the email preferences, which might *not* be what the user expects.
2. How does one come up with a consistent UI for adding both "regular"
cc's, and "external" cc's, that doesn't confuse the hell out of people.
3. Do you really think that someone on an external cc isn't going to
ask to be able to have the same type of email preferences users do?
Then what?

>  that _all_ the addresses from the GNATS submitter
> fields cannot be found in bugzilla anymore.
Please stop making such blanket statements, it's simply not correct.

> See PR10888 for
> example. In http://bugs.debian.org/193049 in the message
> 20030520215917.15973.qmail@sources.redhat.com,
> bonnaud@irancy.lis.inpg.fr is still CCed, but not present in bugzilla
> anymore.

Because it was in the originator field, and your name is in the from
field. From overrode originator for purposes of choosing who the
reporter was, so it got marked as being from your account, not hers.

Unfortunately, i never added the results of the x-gnats-notify field to
the cc list.
I can remedy this easily.

>  I didn't count the affected reports, but this may be ~80 open
> reports, which were forwarded from the Debian archives.
--Dan

* Re: bug submitters not converted from GNAT to bugzilla
@ 2003-05-25 16:53       ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2003-05-25 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Matthias Klose, gcc

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> Unfortunately, i never added the results of the x-gnats-notify field to
> the cc list.
> I can remedy this easily.

For bugs where the CC list hasn't since been edited manually, I think the
x-gnats-notify list should replace the one created from those who had
commented on a bug (with accounts being created for those on the
x-gnats-notify list who don't have them).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: bug submitters not converted from GNAT to bugzilla
@ 2003-05-25 17:02       ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2003-05-25 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: gcc

Daniel Berlin writes:

> On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 04:16  AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> >  that _all_ the addresses from the GNATS submitter
> > fields cannot be found in bugzilla anymore.
> Please stop making such blanket statements, it's simply not correct.
I'm sorry, confused this with the x-gnats-notify field.

* Re: bug submitters not converted from GNAT to bugzilla
@ 2003-05-25 19:00         ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-05-25 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Matthias Klose, gcc

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2003, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, i never added the results of the x-gnats-notify field to
> > the cc list.
> > I can remedy this easily.
>
> For bugs where the CC list hasn't since been edited manually, I think the
> x-gnats-notify list should replace the one created from those who had
> commented on a bug (with accounts being created for those on the
> x-gnats-notify list who don't have them).
I'm working on something like this as fast as i can.