* RE: Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-22 11:02 S. Bosscher
From: S. Bosscher @ 2003-09-22 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Haley ', 'Carlo Wood '; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org '

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Be aware that we are working on an all-new inliner on the tree-ssa
> branch.

Oh? Can you elaborate?

Gr.
Steven

* RE: Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-22 11:16 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2003-09-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S. Bosscher; +Cc: 'Carlo Wood ', 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org '

S. Bosscher writes:
 > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Be aware that we are working on an all-new inliner on the tree-ssa
 > > branch.
 >
 > Oh? Can you elaborate?

It's at /local/aph/tree-ssa-20020619-branch/gcc/gcc/tree-inline.c.

Okay, so it's not all new.  It's a hybrid of the old C++ tree inliner,
the Java tree inliner, and new work for GIMPLE.

Andrew.

* RE: Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-22 12:07   ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2003-09-22 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S. Bosscher, 'Carlo Wood ', 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org '

Andrew Haley writes:

 > It's at /local/aph/tree-ssa-20020619-branch/gcc/gcc/tree-inline.c.

D'oh.  It's at gcc/gcc/tree-inline.c on the tree-ssa-20020619-branch.

Andrew.

* Re: Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-22 12:45                 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2003-09-22 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Wood; +Cc: gcc

Carlo Wood writes:
 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:41:24AM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Be aware that we are working on an all-new inliner on the tree-ssa
 > > branch.  Any work that you do on the old inliner will only be of
 > > transient interest.
 >
 > I really want this to be fixed in gcc 3.4.
 > Can you have a look at the RFC that I posted yesterday?
 >
 > Basically, the first instruction in the inlined function
 > will have correct line info already anyway.  What is there
 > to be expected in between the start of the (inlined) call
 > and that first instruction except code that is responsible
 > for initializing the function parameters?  Maybe I should
 > take C++ class member and/or constructors into account?
 >
 > I am still not sure if I am not forgetting to take something
 > into account.

What you say looks reasonable.  But as far as I am aware we have no
regression tests for line numbers in debugging information, so you'll
have to be careful.  Check C++ constructors, yes.  Also, the gdb
list may be interested.

And whatever you do, please make sure you also submit a patch for
tree-ssa.

Andrew.

* Re: Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-22 12:13               ` Carlo Wood
From: Carlo Wood @ 2003-09-22 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>

* Re: Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-22 10:24             ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2003-09-22 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Wood; +Cc: gcc

Carlo Wood writes:
 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 01:10:24AM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
 > > If it is "all of us", then it is all of us.  At least all of us who
 > > care about inlining :-/
 >
 > Ok, I'll write up a description of the problem, my
 > proposal - the test cases that I think will be needed
 > and last but not least the questions I have in order to
 > be able to continue.  And post that here.

Be aware that we are working on an all-new inliner on the tree-ssa
branch.  Any work that you do on the old inliner will only be of
transient interest.

Andrew,

* Re: Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-22  0:17           ` Carlo Wood
From: Carlo Wood @ 2003-09-22  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2003-09-22  0:08         ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2003-09-22  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Wood; +Cc: gcc

Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com> writes:

| On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 10:53:17PM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
| > Yeah, and I'm responsible for the Java part.  So the answer to "who is
| > in charge?" is "all of us!"

[...]

| I can post my proposal here instead, but I'd really like
| the person who will decide whether or not to accept the
| patch to read it (and give feedback when needed)!
| Without feedback, I'll never know if it was even read at
| all :/

If it is "all of us", then it is all of us.  At least all of us who
care about inlining :-/

(No, sadely I did not contribute to the tree inliner).

-- Gaby

* Re: Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-21 23:27       ` Carlo Wood
From: Carlo Wood @ 2003-09-21 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 10:53:17PM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Yeah, and I'm responsible for the Java part.  So the answer to "who is
> in charge?" is "all of us!"

Ok, sorry for the confusion.  The reason I ask is because
I'd like to discuss certain implementation details of a
patch that I intend to write for gcc up front: I believe
that it is better to first agree on what a patch should
do and _then_ write and submit it - instead of just writing
a patch, submitting it and hoping someone will take the
time and effort to convince themselfs it is what they
want.

About 1.5 years ago I reported a bug that never was
fixed.  I want to fix it myself now, with as release
target 3.4.  In order to accomplish that, I persue a quick
acceptance of the patch; I think the best way for that is
by discussing up front the changes that I intend.

@ 2003-09-21 23:11     ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2003-09-21 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: Andreas Jaeger, Carlo Wood, gcc

@ 2003-09-21 17:59   ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2003-09-21 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: Carlo Wood, gcc

@ 2003-09-21 15:51 ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2003-09-21 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Wood; +Cc: gcc

Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com> writes:

> Who is in charge of tree-inline.c and expr.c ?

If nobody is mentioned in the top-level MAINTAINERS file: Everybody -
or nobody ;-)

tree-inline was initially written by Alexandre.

Why are you asking?

Andreas

P.S. Please fix your Reply-To, line, it come in with <carlo> - and got
completed by our mailserver to carlo@suse.de :-(
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany

* Maintainer of tree-inline.c and expr.c
@ 2003-09-21 15:39 Carlo Wood
From: Carlo Wood @ 2003-09-21 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc