* Newb question about code style
@ 2004-03-17 12:00 sashan
From: sashan @ 2004-03-17 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello

I decided to have a look at gcc and how it works. I've built the 3.4
tree, set a breakpoint in main using gdb and worked from there. I notice
that some of the code in gcc.c mixes tabs and spaces and code looks like
it is outside a loop is actually inside. Is this intentional?

--
sashan
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~sgov008

* Re: Newb question about code style
@ 2004-03-18 10:14 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2004-03-18 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nathan, sashang; +Cc: gcc

(sorry this is not threaded, using an internet cafe in Bangkok where all
I have is a junk telnet connection for email)

<<
Why the original *fixed* *width* ASCII character set has a character whose
width is not only different, but depends on where it is, is one of those
things. (Of course Knuth would question why have a character code for a
character with no glyph.)

nathan

I would guess that nathan has never seem a teletype machine :-)

By the way, there is nothing in the ASCII (really I suppose you mean the
ANSI standard commonly referred to as ASCII) standard that says this is
a fixed width character set. Representation details like this are not part
of that standard. By the way null and DEL both have zero wdith :-)

(and if you don't know why DEL is alll bits on, you never used paper tape :-)