* Re: haifa memory explosion patch
@ 1998-03-05 15:33 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-03-05 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: egcs, kosak

  In message < 19980303120320.09271@dot.cygnus.com >you write:
  > With the attached patch, memory usage for the example in
  >
  >   http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1998-Jan/0108.html
  >
  > is reduced from > 145MB (vm exhausted) to 14MB.
Cool.  I wonder if this was the same problem that we discussed while
I was in Sunnyvale earlier this year...

Did you answer Corey's other questions?

Regardless, the patch looks good.  Please install it.

Thanks Cory & Richard!

jeff

* haifa memory explosion patch
@ 1998-03-05 16:38 Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1998-03-05 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: kosak, law

Thanks to Corey Kosak and an outstanding bit of detective work
(report attached), it is clear that haifa needs to be a good bit
more careful in general with its memory usage.

With the attached patch, memory usage for the example in

  http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1998-Jan/0108.html

is reduced from > 145MB (vm exhausted) to 14MB.

r~

* Re: haifa memory explosion patch
@ 1998-03-10  2:14   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 1998-03-10  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: kosak, egcs, Richard Henderson

On 05-Mar-98 Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   In message < 19980303120320.09271@dot.cygnus.com >you write:
>   > With the attached patch, memory usage for the example in
>   >
>   >   http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1998-Jan/0108.html
>   >
>   > is reduced from > 145MB (vm exhausted) to 14MB.
> Cool.  I wonder if this was the same problem that we discussed while
> I was in Sunnyvale earlier this year...
>
> Did you answer Corey's other questions?
>
> Regardless, the patch looks good.  Please install it.
>
> Thanks Cory & Richard!
>
> jeff

This patch (dated March 3) doesn't seem to have made it into the CVS
tree (egcs_1_00_branch).  Is it in the snapshot for 1.0.2?

The current CVS repository has:
/haifa-sched.c/1.17.2.1/Sat Feb 14 09:40:01 1998//Tegcs_1_00_branch

Gary Thomas                              |
The Open Group / Research Institute      | "Fine wine is a necessity of
2 Avenue de Vignate                      |        life for me"
38610 Gieres - FRANCE                    |
+33 4 76 63 48 74                        |      Thomas Jefferson
email: g.thomas@opengroup.org            |
< http://www.opengroup.org/~gdt >          |
   ... opinions expressed here are mine  |
       and no one else would claim them! |

* Re: haifa memory explosion patch
@ 1998-03-10 10:28     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-03-10 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: kosak, egcs, Richard Henderson

  In message < XFMail.980310092126.g.thomas@opengroup.org >you write:

  > On 05-Mar-98 Jeffrey A Law wrote:
  > >
  > >   In message < 19980303120320.09271@dot.cygnus.com >you write:
  > >   > With the attached patch, memory usage for the example in
  > >   >
  > >   >   http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1998-Jan/0108.html
  > >   >
  > >   > is reduced from > 145MB (vm exhausted) to 14MB.
  > > Cool.  I wonder if this was the same problem that we discussed while
  > > I was in Sunnyvale earlier this year...
  > >
  > > Did you answer Corey's other questions?
  > >
  > > Regardless, the patch looks good.  Please install it.
  > >
  > > Thanks Cory & Richard!
  > >
  > > jeff
  >
  > This patch (dated March 3) doesn't seem to have made it into the CVS
  > tree (egcs_1_00_branch).  Is it in the snapshot for 1.0.2?
  >
  > The current CVS repository has:
  > /haifa-sched.c/1.17.2.1/Sat Feb 14 09:40:01 1998//Tegcs_1_00_branch
I wasn't planning on installing the haifa memory patch on the
release branch....

jeff