* Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-01-17 17:54 Martin Jambor
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-17 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Martin Liska, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn

Hi,

following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:

  - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),

  - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
    committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and

  - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
    mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
    will be very happy if we have more.

There are project ideas on our GSoC wiki page
(https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode) but those are not associated
with a willing mentor and it is basically an idea dump, it is often not
clear how up to date the proposals are and often they are just a bit too
terse.

Therefore I would like to ask all seasoned GCC contributors who would
like to mentor a GSoC student to send a reply to this thread with their
idea for a project.  If you have an idea but you do not want to be a
mentor then I will consider it only if it is really interesting, really
specific (e.g. improving -O2 -g *somehow* is not specific) and I would
have to be reasonably confident I'd find a good mentor for it.  So far I
have the following ideas from the IRC discussion:

1) Jakub is willing to mentor (with someone from GDB but I reckon that
   we will find someone) a project implementing OMPD.

2) Martin Liška is willing to mentor either:
   2a) -fsanitize=type (He provided URL https://reviews.llvm.org/D32197
       but it gives me a 404 error) or its prototype, or
   2b) bash code completion like:
       http://blog.llvm.org/2017/09/clang-bash-better-auto-completion-is.html
       but frankly I am afraid it is too small to be a GSoC project, or
   2c) textual representation of LTO stream a.k.a. lto-dump tool

3?) Joseph Myers brought up idea to do "built-in functions for TS 18661
    floating-point functions - which has the feature that there are a
    lot of similar built-in functions for C99/C11 functions to serve as
    a guide for how to implement things)" ...Joseph, would you be
    willing to mentor it?

Please send me your idea for a project you'd like to mentor.  Also feel
free to comment on other proposals including those above.  I intend to
put successful project ideas from this thread into a prominent position
on the wiki page.  Remember, I want at least four plausible ones with
willing mentors until Monday, January 22nd 23:59 CET.

All sorts of information are available from the GSoC web page at
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/, for example guides for mentors are
at
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/guide#mentor_manual

Thanks,

Martin

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-01-17 21:06 ` Joseph Myers
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Joseph Myers @ 2018-01-17 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc, Jakub Jelinek, Martin Liska, David Edelsohn

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:

> 3?) Joseph Myers brought up idea to do "built-in functions for TS 18661
>     floating-point functions - which has the feature that there are a
>     lot of similar built-in functions for C99/C11 functions to serve as
>     a guide for how to implement things)" ...Joseph, would you be
>     willing to mentor it?

Yes, provided at least one other mentor is available as well as I may not
be around all the time during the GSoC period, including one of the
evaluation periods.

(The outline I put on the wiki page is:

  GCC supports built-in functions for math.h and complex.h functions in
  the C99/C11 standards (both folding calls for constant arguments, and
  expanding inline when the processor supports appropriate functionality).
  More such functions have been added in ISO/IEC TS 18661, supporting
  features of IEEE 754-2008. It would be useful to have built-in functions
  for those, both folding for constant arguments, and expanding inline
  where appropriate (e.g. for roundeven and the functions rounding result
  to narrower type, on some processors; roundeven can be inlined on x86
  for SSE4.1 and later, and the narrowing functions on IA64 and POWER8,
  for example). Existing built-in functions would provide a guide for how
  to do this.

This project has the feature that there are lots of smaller subprojects
each of which would be a useful enhancement to GCC, so a student could
start off with e.g. roundeven built-in functions, closely following how
existing code handles round / floor / ceil / trunc, before going on to
more complicated functions such as the narrowing ones or the fromfp
functions - with scope for functions from TS 18661-3 and TS 18661-4 if
they run out of useful functions from TS 18661-1.  If a student were
interested I could provide more detailed lists of possible subprojects.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-01-17 22:16 ` Joel Sherrill
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2018-01-17 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor, gcc
  Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Martin Liska, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn

On 1/17/2018 11:54 AM, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:
>
>    - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>
>    - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>      committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>
>    - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>      mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>      will be very happy if we have more.
>
> There are project ideas on our GSoC wiki page
> (https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode) but those are not associated
> with a willing mentor and it is basically an idea dump, it is often not
> clear how up to date the proposals are and often they are just a bit too
> terse.

I will put a plug for a GCC related project on the RTEMS wish list that
is on our GSoC Open Projects list. It is part of a broader project.
We need someone who understands gcov for. We would consider you a
co-mentor but I think the support would be light. I think it would
be better described as a subject matter expert helping on an issue.

We have a tool that aggregates the output of simulator trace logs
and generates coverage reports directly. It can also generate
gcov output but there are some anomalies when gcov generates reports
from our input that don't match the truth of the traces.

We just need someone who can explain what is wrong so it can be fixed.

@ 2018-01-18  9:19   ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2018-01-18  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joel.sherrill, Martin Jambor, gcc
  Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn

On 01/17/2018 11:16 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> We have a tool that aggregates the output of simulator trace logs
> and generates coverage reports directly. It can also generate
> gcov output but there are some anomalies when gcov generates reports
> from our input that don't match the truth of the traces.
>
> We just need someone who can explain what is wrong so it can be fixed.

Hello.

I have quite some knowledge about gcov infrastructure and I've applied various
patches in the tool for upcoming GCC 8 release. Can you please define more
specifically what you'll need and what's limitation of current gcov infrastructure?

If that would lead in a topic for GSoC, I can mentor that.

Martin

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-01-18  9:41 ` Martin Liška
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin Liška @ 2018-01-18  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor, gcc
  Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn, David Malcolm

On 01/17/2018 06:54 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:

Hello.

I would like to thank you Martin that I decided to take care of GSoC.
Hopefully we'll find some newcomers for the projects.

>   - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>
>   - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>     committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>
>   - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>     mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>     will be very happy if we have more.
>
> There are project ideas on our GSoC wiki page
> (https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode) but those are not associated
> with a willing mentor and it is basically an idea dump, it is often not
> clear how up to date the proposals are and often they are just a bit too
> terse.
>
> Therefore I would like to ask all seasoned GCC contributors who would
> like to mentor a GSoC student to send a reply to this thread with their
> idea for a project.  If you have an idea but you do not want to be a
> mentor then I will consider it only if it is really interesting, really
> specific (e.g. improving -O2 -g *somehow* is not specific) and I would
> have to be reasonably confident I'd find a good mentor for it.  So far I
> have the following ideas from the IRC discussion:
>
> 1) Jakub is willing to mentor (with someone from GDB but I reckon that
>    we will find someone) a project implementing OMPD.
>
> 2) Martin Liška is willing to mentor either:
>    2a) -fsanitize=type (He provided URL https://reviews.llvm.org/D32197
>        but it gives me a 404 error) or its prototype, or
>    2b) bash code completion like:
>        http://blog.llvm.org/2017/09/clang-bash-better-auto-completion-is.html
>        but frankly I am afraid it is too small to be a GSoC project, or
>    2c) textual representation of LTO stream a.k.a. lto-dump tool

If there's an interest, I can specify in more detail these topics. Note that
David Malcolm is also interested in 2b) and he's willing to be co-mentor.
The topic 2b) can be enlarged to an overhaul of option handling, with possible
rewritten of current AWK scripts.

Martin

> 3?) Joseph Myers brought up idea to do "built-in functions for TS 18661
>     floating-point functions - which has the feature that there are a
>     lot of similar built-in functions for C99/C11 functions to serve as
>     a guide for how to implement things)" ...Joseph, would you be
>     willing to mentor it?
>
> Please send me your idea for a project you'd like to mentor.  Also feel
> free to comment on other proposals including those above.  I intend to
> put successful project ideas from this thread into a prominent position
> on the wiki page.  Remember, I want at least four plausible ones with
> willing mentors until Monday, January 22nd 23:59 CET.
>
> All sorts of information are available from the GSoC web page at
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/, for example guides for mentors are
> at
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/guide#mentor_manual
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-01-18 19:51 ` Eric Gallager
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Gallager @ 2018-01-18 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor
  Cc: gcc, Jakub Jelinek, Martin Liska, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn

On 1/17/18, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:
>
>   - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>
>   - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>     committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>
>   - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>     mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>     will be very happy if we have more.
>
> There are project ideas on our GSoC wiki page
> (https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode) but those are not associated
> with a willing mentor and it is basically an idea dump, it is often not
> clear how up to date the proposals are and often they are just a bit too
> terse.
>
> Therefore I would like to ask all seasoned GCC contributors who would
> like to mentor a GSoC student to send a reply to this thread with their
> idea for a project.  If you have an idea but you do not want to be a
> mentor then I will consider it only if it is really interesting, really
> specific (e.g. improving -O2 -g *somehow* is not specific) and I would
> have to be reasonably confident I'd find a good mentor for it.  So far I
> have the following ideas from the IRC discussion:
>
> 1) Jakub is willing to mentor (with someone from GDB but I reckon that
>    we will find someone) a project implementing OMPD.
>
> 2) Martin Liška is willing to mentor either:
>    2a) -fsanitize=type (He provided URL https://reviews.llvm.org/D32197
>        but it gives me a 404 error) or its prototype, or
>    2b) bash code completion like:
>
> http://blog.llvm.org/2017/09/clang-bash-better-auto-completion-is.html
>        but frankly I am afraid it is too small to be a GSoC project, or
>    2c) textual representation of LTO stream a.k.a. lto-dump tool
>
> 3?) Joseph Myers brought up idea to do "built-in functions for TS 18661
>     floating-point functions - which has the feature that there are a
>     lot of similar built-in functions for C99/C11 functions to serve as
>     a guide for how to implement things)" ...Joseph, would you be
>     willing to mentor it?
>
> Please send me your idea for a project you'd like to mentor.  Also feel
> free to comment on other proposals including those above.  I intend to
> put successful project ideas from this thread into a prominent position
> on the wiki page.  Remember, I want at least four plausible ones with
> willing mentors until Monday, January 22nd 23:59 CET.
>
> All sorts of information are available from the GSoC web page at
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/, for example guides for mentors are
> at
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/guide#mentor_manual
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

Would it make sense to recycle old GSoC projects that never got
completed? I'm wondering about the "replace libiberty with gnulib" one

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-01-18 20:31   ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2018-01-18 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Gallager
  Cc: Martin Jambor, gcc, Jakub Jelinek, Martin Liska, David Edelsohn

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018, Eric Gallager wrote:

> Would it make sense to recycle old GSoC projects that never got
> completed? I'm wondering about the "replace libiberty with gnulib" one

I'd like to see that finished, but I'm not convinced it makes a good GSoC
project, given how it involves tricky portability and build system issues
and the need to test for lots of different configurations including
Canadian crosses.  It would really need someone particularly interested in
that area, and a build machinery maintainer actively involved.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-01-18 23:10 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2018-01-18 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor
  Cc: gcc, Jakub Jelinek, Martin Liska, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn

Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> writes:

> Therefore I would like to ask all seasoned GCC contributors who would
> like to mentor a GSoC student to send a reply to this thread with their
> idea for a project.  If you have an idea but you do not want to be a
> mentor then I will consider it only if it is really interesting, really
> specific (e.g. improving -O2 -g *somehow* is not specific) and I would
> have to be reasonably confident I'd find a good mentor for it.  So far I
> have the following ideas from the IRC discussion:

Here's an idea:

fuzzers like csmith are fairly good at finding compiler bugs.  But they
only generate standard C, but no extensions. gcc has many extensions,
which are not covered. It would be good to extend a fuzzer like csmith
to fuzz extensions like OpenMP, __attributes__, vector
extensions, etc. Then run the fuzzer and report
compiler bugs.

I'm not a seasoned gcc contributor, but would be willing to mentor
such a project.

-Andi

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-01-19 13:17   ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-19 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers; +Cc: gcc

Hi Joseph,

On Wed, Jan 17 2018, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
>
>> 3?) Joseph Myers brought up idea to do "built-in functions for TS 18661
>>     floating-point functions - which has the feature that there are a
>>     lot of similar built-in functions for C99/C11 functions to serve as
>>     a guide for how to implement things)" ...Joseph, would you be
>>     willing to mentor it?
>
> Yes, provided at least one other mentor is available as well as I may not
> be around all the time during the GSoC period, including one of the
> evaluation periods.

Thank you (but please think who that other mentor could be :-)

> (The outline I put on the wiki page is:
>
>   GCC supports built-in functions for math.h and complex.h functions in
>   the C99/C11 standards (both folding calls for constant arguments, and
>   expanding inline when the processor supports appropriate functionality).
>   More such functions have been added in ISO/IEC TS 18661, supporting
>   features of IEEE 754-2008. It would be useful to have built-in functions
>   for those, both folding for constant arguments, and expanding inline
>   where appropriate (e.g. for roundeven and the functions rounding result
>   to narrower type, on some processors; roundeven can be inlined on x86
>   for SSE4.1 and later, and the narrowing functions on IA64 and POWER8,
>   for example). Existing built-in functions would provide a guide for how
>   to do this.
>
> This project has the feature that there are lots of smaller subprojects
> each of which would be a useful enhancement to GCC, so a student could
> start off with e.g. roundeven built-in functions, closely following how
> existing code handles round / floor / ceil / trunc, before going on to
> more complicated functions such as the narrowing ones or the fromfp
> functions - with scope for functions from TS 18661-3 and TS 18661-4 if
> they run out of useful functions from TS 18661-1.  If a student were
> interested I could provide more detailed lists of possible subprojects.)

That is a very nice feature indeed,

@ 2018-01-19 13:50   ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-19 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joel.sherrill, gcc

Hi Joel,

On Wed, Jan 17 2018, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 1/17/2018 11:54 AM, Martin Jambor wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
>> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
>> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:
>>
>>    - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>>
>>    - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>>      committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>>
>>    - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>>      mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>>      will be very happy if we have more.
>>
>> There are project ideas on our GSoC wiki page
>> (https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode) but those are not associated
>> with a willing mentor and it is basically an idea dump, it is often not
>> clear how up to date the proposals are and often they are just a bit too
>> terse.
>
> I will put a plug for a GCC related project on the RTEMS wish list that
> is on our GSoC Open Projects list. It is part of a broader project.
> We need someone who understands gcov for. We would consider you a
> co-mentor but I think the support would be light. I think it would
> be better described as a subject matter expert helping on an issue.
>
> We have a tool that aggregates the output of simulator trace logs
> and generates coverage reports directly. It can also generate
> gcov output but there are some anomalies when gcov generates reports
> from our input that don't match the truth of the traces.
>
> We just need someone who can explain what is wrong so it can be fixed.

I see.  However, since this would be an RTEMs project from Google's
point of view, I would suggest that you then email your questions (or
requests for co-mentorship) to the gcc mailing list independently
(i.e. without my involvement) and CC the maintainers and people who have
touched the corresponding files a lot recently.  (Unless you think I
specifically can be of help somehow, of course).

Thanks,

Martin

@ 2018-01-19 14:09   ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-19 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Liška, gcc
  Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn, David Malcolm

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 18 2018, Martin Liška wrote:
> On 01/17/2018 06:54 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:

>> 2) Martin Liška is willing to mentor either:
>>    2a) -fsanitize=type (He provided URL https://reviews.llvm.org/D32197
>>        but it gives me a 404 error) or its prototype, or
>>    2b) bash code completion like:
>>        http://blog.llvm.org/2017/09/clang-bash-better-auto-completion-is.html
>>        but frankly I am afraid it is too small to be a GSoC project, or
>>    2c) textual representation of LTO stream a.k.a. lto-dump tool
>
> If there's an interest, I can specify in more detail these topics.

First, we'll need (just) enough info to make the idea attractive for
students.  Then they will need to write a project proposal with
milestones and stuff
(https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/writing-a-proposal).  I am
not sure how involved we will be at that point, but perhaps it is a good
idea to think about milestones anyway.

> Note that
> David Malcolm is also interested in 2b) and he's willing to be co-mentor.
> The topic 2b) can be enlarged to an overhaul of option handling, with possible
> rewritten of current AWK scripts.

I am still a bit sceptical about the b option.  IIRC there was an
objection on the IRC that rewriting AWK scripts would require extensive
testing in a wide variety of often obscure environments.  That may make
it ill-suited for GSoC.  But well... I am not strictly against it, but
we may need to set the expectations accordingly ...which may not make it
attractive neither for students not for Google.

@ 2018-01-19 14:13     ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Liška, gcc
  Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn, David Malcolm

On Fri, Jan 19 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 18 2018, Martin Liška wrote:
>> On 01/17/2018 06:54 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:

>>> 2) Martin Liška is willing to mentor either:
>>>    2a) -fsanitize=type (He provided URL https://reviews.llvm.org/D32197
>>>        but it gives me a 404 error) or its prototype, or
>>>    2b) bash code completion like:
>>>        http://blog.llvm.org/2017/09/clang-bash-better-auto-completion-is.html
>>>        but frankly I am afraid it is too small to be a GSoC project, or
>>>    2c) textual representation of LTO stream a.k.a. lto-dump tool
>>
>> If there's an interest, I can specify in more detail these topics.
>
> First, we'll need (just) enough info to make the idea attractive for
> students.  Then they will need to write a project proposal with
> milestones and stuff
> (https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/writing-a-proposal).  I am
> not sure how involved we will be at that point, but perhaps it is a good
> idea to think about milestones anyway.
>
>> Note that
>> David Malcolm is also interested in 2b) and he's willing to be co-mentor.
>> The topic 2b) can be enlarged to an overhaul of option handling, with possible
>> rewritten of current AWK scripts.
>
> I am still a bit sceptical about the b option.  IIRC there was an
> objection on the IRC that rewriting AWK scripts would require extensive
> testing in a wide variety of often obscure environments.  That may make
> it ill-suited for GSoC.  But well... I am not strictly against it, but
> we may need to set the expectations accordingly ...which may not make it
> attractive neither for students not for Google.

Ah no, I confused myself.  That was Joseph's issue with the idea of
replacing libiberty with gnulib.  The problem with this one was getting
a consensus to move away from AWK to python which would introduce a new
dependency of the gcc project.  Someone experienced (and determined)
from the community would have to drive that decision, we may not expect
a newcomer, let a alone a student, to do it.

Sorry for the confusion,

@ 2018-01-19 14:17     ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers, Eric Gallager; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 18 2018, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2018, Eric Gallager wrote:
>
>> Would it make sense to recycle old GSoC projects that never got
>> completed?

in principle that is definitely possible, but...

>>I'm wondering about the "replace libiberty with gnulib" one
>
> I'd like to see that finished, but I'm not convinced it makes a good GSoC
> project, given how it involves tricky portability and build system issues
> and the need to test for lots of different configurations including
> Canadian crosses.  It would really need someone particularly interested in
> that area, and a build machinery maintainer actively involved.

...Joseph's concern sounds very valid to me.

@ 2018-01-19 14:24   ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-19 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: gcc

Hi Andi,

On Thu, Jan 18 2018, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> writes:
>>
>> Therefore I would like to ask all seasoned GCC contributors who would
>> like to mentor a GSoC student to send a reply to this thread with their
>> idea for a project.  If you have an idea but you do not want to be a
>> mentor then I will consider it only if it is really interesting, really
>> specific (e.g. improving -O2 -g *somehow* is not specific) and I would
>> have to be reasonably confident I'd find a good mentor for it.  So far I
>> have the following ideas from the IRC discussion:
>
> Here's an idea:
>
> fuzzers like csmith are fairly good at finding compiler bugs.  But they
> only generate standard C, but no extensions. gcc has many extensions,
> which are not covered. It would be good to extend a fuzzer like csmith
> to fuzz extensions like OpenMP, __attributes__, vector
> extensions, etc. Then run the fuzzer and report
> compiler bugs.
>
> I'm not a seasoned gcc contributor, but would be willing to mentor
> such a project.

Thanks a lot, project noted, it is an interesting idea.  You are
definitely seasoned enough as far as I am concerned.

@ 2018-01-19 16:34     ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2018-01-19 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> On Wed, Jan 17 2018, Joseph Myers wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
> >
> >> 3?) Joseph Myers brought up idea to do "built-in functions for TS 18661
> >>     floating-point functions - which has the feature that there are a
> >>     lot of similar built-in functions for C99/C11 functions to serve as
> >>     a guide for how to implement things)" ...Joseph, would you be
> >>     willing to mentor it?
> >
> > Yes, provided at least one other mentor is available as well as I may not
> > be around all the time during the GSoC period, including one of the
> > evaluation periods.
>
> Thank you (but please think who that other mentor could be :-)

Well, anyone reasonably familiar with the workings of built-in functions
(from builtins.def through to defining corresponding insn patterns).
Floating-point expertise not required.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-01-19 17:31       ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2018-01-19 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, Joseph Myers, Martin Jambor

On January 19, 2018 5:34:35 PM GMT+01:00, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
>
>> Hi Joseph,

>18661
>are a
>serve as
>> >
>> > Yes, provided at least one other mentor is available as well as I
>may not
>> > be around all the time during the GSoC period, including one of the
>
>> > evaluation periods.
>>
>> Thank you (but please think who that other mentor could be :-)
>
>Well, anyone reasonably familiar with the workings of built-in
>functions
>(from builtins.def through to defining corresponding insn patterns).
>Floating-point expertise not required.

I can co - mentor.

Richard.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-01-22 15:10       ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2018-01-22 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor, gcc
  Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn, David Malcolm

On 01/19/2018 03:13 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> If there's an interest, I can specify in more detail these topics.
>>
>> First, we'll need (just) enough info to make the idea attractive for
>> students.  Then they will need to write a project proposal with
>> milestones and stuff
>> (https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/writing-a-proposal).  I am
>> not sure how involved we will be at that point, but perhaps it is a good
>> idea to think about milestones anyway.
>>
>>> Note that
>>> David Malcolm is also interested in 2b) and he's willing to be co-mentor.
>>> The topic 2b) can be enlarged to an overhaul of option handling, with possible
>>> rewritten of current AWK scripts.
>>
>> I am still a bit sceptical about the b option.  IIRC there was an
>> objection on the IRC that rewriting AWK scripts would require extensive
>> testing in a wide variety of often obscure environments.  That may make
>> it ill-suited for GSoC.  But well... I am not strictly against it, but
>> we may need to set the expectations accordingly ...which may not make it
>> attractive neither for students not for Google.
>>

> Ah no, I confused myself.  That was Joseph's issue with the idea of
> replacing libiberty with gnulib.  The problem with this one was getting
> a consensus to move away from AWK to python which would introduce a new
> dependency of the gcc project.  Someone experienced (and determined)
> from the community would have to drive that decision, we may not expect
> a newcomer, let a alone a student, to do it.

Here I can probably trigger the discussion about the transition from AWK
to another programming language. It's expected that it will take some time.
That said, do we still want to list the project as candidate for GSoC?

Martin

@ 2018-01-22 15:40     ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2018-01-22 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor, gcc
  Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn, David Malcolm

On 01/19/2018 03:09 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 18 2018, Martin Liška wrote:
>> On 01/17/2018 06:54 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:

>>> 2) Martin Liška is willing to mentor either:
>>>    2a) -fsanitize=type (He provided URL https://reviews.llvm.org/D32197
>>>        but it gives me a 404 error) or its prototype, or
>>>    2b) bash code completion like:
>>>        http://blog.llvm.org/2017/09/clang-bash-better-auto-completion-is.html
>>>        but frankly I am afraid it is too small to be a GSoC project, or
>>>    2c) textual representation of LTO stream a.k.a. lto-dump tool
>>
>> If there's an interest, I can specify in more detail these topics.
>
> First, we'll need (just) enough info to make the idea attractive for
> students.  Then they will need to write a project proposal with
> milestones and stuff
> (https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/writing-a-proposal).  I am
> not sure how involved we will be at that point, but perhaps it is a good
> idea to think about milestones anyway.

Hi.

If I'm correct time spent for programming is May 14, 2018 - August 6, 2018.

Let me briefly describe the topics:

2a) A Type Sanitizer

Both LLVM and GCC compilers do share a common sanitizer library called libsanitizer.
The library has recently received support of typed-based sanitization (TySan).
Goal of the task would be to investigate and prototype usage of type-based
aliasing rules information, provided by GCC. As a result the information can be leverage
to detect violations of strict aliasing rules. Student can start with analysis of differences
of aliasing analysis in between the GCC and LLVM compiler.

2c) Textual Representation of LTO Object Files

Link-Time Optimization (LTO) is a technique where an intermediate representation of translation
units is serialized and loaded during link time. That leads to massive optimization opportunities
as a compiler can see the whole program. Current format of LTO object file is binary and we
would welcome to have also an equivalent textual representation. The format should be human readable
and easily adjustable. Such improvement would help a lot to reproduce and debug complication
LTO bugs that require multiple object files to be compiled.

Martin

>> Note that
>> David Malcolm is also interested in 2b) and he's willing to be co-mentor.
>> The topic 2b) can be enlarged to an overhaul of option handling, with possible
>> rewritten of current AWK scripts.
>
> I am still a bit sceptical about the b option.  IIRC there was an
> objection on the IRC that rewriting AWK scripts would require extensive
> testing in a wide variety of often obscure environments.  That may make
> it ill-suited for GSoC.  But well... I am not strictly against it, but
> we may need to set the expectations accordingly ...which may not make it
> attractive neither for students not for Google.
>
> Martin

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-01-23 10:56 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-23 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, Martin Liska, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 17 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:
>
>   - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>
>   - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>     committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>
>   - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>     mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>     will be very happy if we have more.

I consider the above conditions fulfilled and have started applying.

Unfortunately, Google requires there are at least two org-admins for an
organization.  We need to an additional admin by 6pm CET, which is in a
little over 6 hours.  So, who would like to do this with me?  (We can
have up to five :-).

Since I have started this thread, I expect to do most of the
org-admining, so any additional admin should not have that much work
with it.  But they apparently want a back-up as they want a reply to any
inquiry they might have within 36 hours.

My apologies for finding out this late but I did go through various
documents about the program and the requirement was not listed there, it
only popped up half-way through the application.

@ 2018-01-23 11:08   ` Prathamesh Kulkarni
From: Prathamesh Kulkarni @ 2018-01-23 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor
  Cc: gcc, Jakub Jelinek, Martin Liska, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn

On 23 January 2018 at 16:26, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 17 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
>> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
>> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:
>>
>>   - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>>
>>   - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>>     committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>>
>>   - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>>     mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>>     will be very happy if we have more.
>>

> I consider the above conditions fulfilled and have started applying.
>
> Unfortunately, Google requires there are at least two org-admins for an
> organization.  We need to an additional admin by 6pm CET, which is in a
> little over 6 hours.  So, who would like to do this with me?  (We can
> have up to five :-).
If it's OK, I can volunteer to be backup admin.

Thanks,
Prathamesh

@ 2018-01-23 15:49     ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2018-01-23 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prathamesh Kulkarni, Martin Jambor
  Cc: gcc, Jakub Jelinek, Joseph S. Myers, David Edelsohn

On 01/23/2018 12:08 PM, Prathamesh Kulkarni wrote:
> On 23 January 2018 at 16:26, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 17 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
>>> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
>>> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:
>>>
>>>   - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>>>
>>>   - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>>>     committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>>>
>>>   - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>>>     mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>>>     will be very happy if we have more.
>>>

>> I consider the above conditions fulfilled and have started applying.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Google requires there are at least two org-admins for an
>> organization.  We need to an additional admin by 6pm CET, which is in a
>> little over 6 hours.  So, who would like to do this with me?  (We can
>> have up to five :-).
> If it's OK, I can volunteer to be backup admin.
>
> Thanks,
> Prathamesh

If needed, please do the same with me.

Martin

@ 2018-01-23 23:11     ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-01-23 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prathamesh Kulkarni; +Cc: gcc, David Edelsohn

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 23 2018, Prathamesh Kulkarni wrote:
> On 23 January 2018 at 16:26, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 17 2018, Martin Jambor wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> following a discussion at IRC about an upcoming deadline to register GCC
>>> as an independent organization for Google Summer of Code 2018 (GSoC), I
>>> have volunteered to serve as the org-admin for GCC if:
>>>
>>>   - there is not another volunteer (so step up if you are!),
>>>
>>>   - the community does not object (so let me and/or the steering
>>>     committee know if you think I am not the right person!), and
>>>
>>>   - we have at least 4 good project ideas together(!) with willing
>>>     mentors by next Monday January 22 (the deadline is on Tuesday).  I
>>>     will be very happy if we have more.
>>>

>> I consider the above conditions fulfilled and have started applying.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Google requires there are at least two org-admins for an
>> organization.  We need to an additional admin by 6pm CET, which is in a
>> little over 6 hours.  So, who would like to do this with me?  (We can
>> have up to five :-).
> If it's OK, I can volunteer to be backup admin.

I was happy to accept both this offer from Prathamesh and another one
from Honza and put down both as a co-org-admins and submitted our
application.  We'll be notified before February 12th whether we were
accepted.

I'll update the wiki with the new ideas tomorrow.

Thanks,

Martin

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-02-13 13:02 ` Martin Jambor
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-02-13 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I am happy to announce that we were selected as a Google Summer of Code
2018 mentor organization.

At this point I am being asked to "invite mentors," so I will soon
invite all the people who have expressed interest in the January email
thread (or on IRC).

If anybody has an additional idea for a GSoC project, please share it
with us here and perhaps also add it to the Wiki page.

If anybody else thinks of being a mentor this year, please write me an
email, the sooner the better.  I suspect that a google account is
mandatory, though.

Any other ideas/comments/suggestions are also welcome.

@ 2018-02-14 22:10   ` Janus Weil
From: Janus Weil @ 2018-02-14 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Martin,

> I am happy to announce that we were selected as a Google Summer of Code
> 2018 mentor organization.

good to hear!

> At this point I am being asked to "invite mentors," so I will soon
> invite all the people who have expressed interest in the January email
> thread (or on IRC).
>
> If anybody has an additional idea for a GSoC project, please share it
> with us here and perhaps also add it to the Wiki page.
>
> If anybody else thinks of being a mentor this year, please write me an
> email, the sooner the better.

I'd be happy to (co-)mentor any Fortran-related project, should one come up.

Cheers,
Janus

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-02-15  9:20     ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-02-15  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 14 2018, Janus Weil wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>> I am happy to announce that we were selected as a Google Summer of Code
>> 2018 mentor organization.
>
> good to hear!
>

>> At this point I am being asked to "invite mentors," so I will soon
>> invite all the people who have expressed interest in the January email
>> thread (or on IRC).
>>
>> If anybody has an additional idea for a GSoC project, please share it
>> with us here and perhaps also add it to the Wiki page.
>>
>> If anybody else thinks of being a mentor this year, please write me an
>> email, the sooner the better.
>
> I'd be happy to (co-)mentor any Fortran-related project, should one come up.

I have invited you to be a mentor.  If there is a fortran project or two
that you would especially like to see to be picked up this year, please
move it to the "Selected project ideas" on the GSoC wiki page.

@ 2018-02-15 10:52   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2018-02-15 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

Dear Martin, I am the administrator of GNU Behistun, a package designed
to image the internal constituents of the subsurface using seismic waves.
It is written in Fortran and uses gfortran. I am not sure how well you
think it fits in your GSoC project. Does related work under your proposal
have to focus on development of the gcc compiler itself, or would it also
allow work on peripheral associations.

Regards
Christopher

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
GNU Behistun Chief Administrator
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Exploitation

@ 2018-02-15 12:12     ` Janus Weil
From: Janus Weil @ 2018-02-15 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christopher,

> I am the administrator of GNU Behistun, a package designed
> to image the internal constituents of the subsurface using seismic waves.
> It is written in Fortran and uses gfortran. I am not sure how well you
> think it fits in your GSoC project. Does related work under your proposal
> have to focus on development of the gcc compiler itself, or would it also
> allow work on peripheral associations.

I don't quite think this is appropriate for GCC as a mentoring org. It
might fit better under the "GNU" umbrella, which also seems to be a
mentoring org in this year's GSoC and lists all kinds of GNU projects:

https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2018.html

Cheers,
Janus

@ 2018-02-15 13:59       ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-02-15 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christopher,

On Thu, Feb 15 2018, Janus Weil wrote:
> Hi Christopher,

>> I am the administrator of GNU Behistun, a package designed
>> to image the internal constituents of the subsurface using seismic waves.
>> It is written in Fortran and uses gfortran. I am not sure how well you
>> think it fits in your GSoC project. Does related work under your proposal
>> have to focus on development of the gcc compiler itself, or would it also
>> allow work on peripheral associations.
>
> I don't quite think this is appropriate for GCC as a mentoring org. It
> might fit better under the "GNU" umbrella, which also seems to be a
> mentoring org in this year's GSoC and lists all kinds of GNU projects:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2018.html

I completely agree with Janus.  I believe GNU project will accommodate
your needs better.

@ 2018-03-29 15:37   ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2018-03-29 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

Now the student application deadline has, I understand, passed, how do we
go about collectively deciding which are the best proposals to request
slots for?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-03-29 16:40     ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2018-03-29 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

 ... looking at the actually submitted proposals, I see most of the people
who contacted the mailing list have not actually submitted anything in the
end, so the selection of proposals to get slots should be straightforward
after all.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2018: Call for mentors and ideas
@ 2018-03-29 17:07     ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-03-29 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

I was wondering how much I should announce publicly about GSoC proposals
since students are not supposed to know in advance that we want any
particular one before they are officially accepted or not by google, but
I hope I will not overstep any line by saying the following:

(I am willing to invite any GCC contributer among the mentors, then you
can look at the proposals at the GSoC "dashboard" website.  You need
gmail account for that, however.)

On Thu, Mar 29 2018, Joseph Myers wrote:
> Now the student application deadline has, I understand, passed, how do we
> go about collectively deciding which are the best proposals to request
> slots for?

GCC has received 11 proposals for projects, but 7 of them were clearly
unsuitable (two were completely blank, one was a link to a live google
document with the string "WIP" in it, one contained only a short CV of
the applicants, one was three lines suggesting we use a "linked list"
and "hash tags" for memory management, there was also a proposal for
driver able to compile C and python in different sections of a single
file, and one proposal was just spam or an elaborate report on some past
java project, I cannot tell) and 2 were inferior to the point that I
also decided they should not be considered.  None of these two was
discussed on the mailing list and both were basically copied text from
an (outdated) wiki page.

The remaining two are strong candidates, both proposals were discussed
at length here on the mailing list and so I asked for two student slots.
My plan forward is basically to sincerely hope that we get two.  If we
get only one (IIRC we will know on April 10th), I will bring this
question up here (but let's just toss a coin in that case).

Generally speaking, I am somewhat disappointed that one or two topics
that were also discussed on the mailing list did not eventually turn up
among the proposals.  I should have probably pinged one student and
perhaps also two gcc developers a bit in order to make them come up with
something.  It also did not help that I was traveling to an important
meeting in the US last week (and I had much less time for email than I
thought I would).  Nevertheless, it is mostly students' responsibility
to come up with good projects and there is only so much we can do about
it.  However, if the community decides I should be the admin also next
year, I believe I will be able to organize it slightly better.

@ 2018-04-03 11:30       ` Peryt, Sebastian
From: Peryt, Sebastian @ 2018-04-03 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc, Peryt, Sebastian

Hi Martin,

Frankly speaking I believe that students who discussed topics on mailing list might
eventually just decide that they were too challenging for them and also competition
appeared too difficult. As far as I remember student can only pick few organizations and
maybe they just decided to pick some other projects where they expected higher chance
of success. After all, as you wrote, it is students work to come up with good projects.

Nevertheless, I'd suggest keeping discussions regarding GSoC projects, that took place in
mailing list in wiki (as a summary or direct links) for future reference if someone would
like to better understand how some elements work in GCC or would like to continue those works.
Without any external link I'm afraid it might get lost in the mailing list soon.

From my personal point of view I think you did a great work with handling all communication
regarding GSoC participation and I believe you are a perfect candidate for admin role next year.

Sebastian

@ 2018-04-03 14:09         ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-04-03 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peryt, Sebastian; +Cc: gcc, Peryt, Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

On Tue, Apr 03 2018, Sebastian Peryt wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Frankly speaking I believe that students who discussed topics on mailing list might
> eventually just decide that they were too challenging for them and also competition
> appeared too difficult. As far as I remember student can only pick few organizations and
> maybe they just decided to pick some other projects where they expected higher chance
> of success. After all, as you wrote, it is students work to come up with good projects.
>
> Nevertheless, I'd suggest keeping discussions regarding GSoC projects, that took place in
> mailing list in wiki (as a summary or direct links) for future reference if someone would
> like to better understand how some elements work in GCC or would like to continue those works.
> Without any external link I'm afraid it might get lost in the mailing list soon.

I have pointers to the most important threads in my notes.  I will
put them onto the wiki when I'll reorganize it after this GSoC year or
before the next one starts.  Hopefully by that time we will have two
successful projects.

> From my personal point of view I think you did a great work with handling all communication
> regarding GSoC participation and I believe you are a perfect candidate for admin role next year.

Thanks a lot,

Martin