From: "Peryt, Sebastian" <sebastian.peryt@intel.com>
To: Nathan Sidwell <nathan@acm.org>, "gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Cc: "Peryt, Sebastian" <sebastian.peryt@intel.com>
Subject: RE: Question regarding preventing optimizing out of register in expansion
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 09:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

After some more digging and adjusting I found additional cases that are optimizing out registers
thus I decided to continue this thread to  keep discussion compact.

With some changes simplified implementation of my expansion is as follows:
tmp_op0 = gen_reg_rtx (mode);
emit_move_insn (tmp_op0, op0);
tmp_op1 = gen_reg_rtx (mode);
emit_move_insn (tmp_op1, op1);

// This is important part
reg = gen_rtx_REG(wide_mode, XMM2_REG);
emit_insn (gen_rtx_SET (reg, tmp_op1));

emit_insn (gen_myinsn(op2, reg));

emit_insn (gen_rtx_SET (tmp_op0, reg));
////

And my md is as follows:
(define_insn "myinsn"
  [(unspec [(match_operand:SI 0 "register_operand" "r")
            (match_operand:V4SI 1 "vector_operand")]
            UNSPEC_MYINSN)
   (clobber (reg:V4SI XMM2_REG))]
  "TARGET_MYTARGET"
  "instr\t%0"
  [(set_attr "type" "other")])

This is working like a charm when built with any optimization level producing something like this:

movdqu  %eax, %xmm2
instr      %edx
movups  %xmm2, %eax

Unfortunately, when I build it with additional -mavx2 or -mavx512f first move (from reg to xmm2) is
optimized out. I'm using those extra flags because I also want to use YMM2 and ZMM2 in my instruction.

Does anyone have idea why might such thing happen? And how this can be overcome?

Thanks,
Sebastian