* Anything I can contribute?
@ 2021-11-13  8:35 Deng Kaisheng
From: Deng Kaisheng @ 2021-11-13  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

My name is Deng Kaisheng, a graduate student in National University of Sinapore (NUS) now major in computer science. I've read the introduction of your organization and I'm quite interested in what you're doing.

I want to do something and contribute to the community, and I wonder if there is something I can do. I major in computer science since undergraduate with a solid foundation in CS, and I'm also confident in my fast-learning skills. I have programming skills in C++, Python, Java, Objective-C, etc., and database skills in MySQL and Cassandra.

I wonder if your organization is going to take part in the GSoC 2022, if possible, I would like to contribute to your project in GSOC 2022.

I am looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,

Kaisheng

* Re: Anything I can contribute?
@ 2021-11-15 17:17 ` Philip Herron
From: Philip Herron @ 2021-11-15 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Kaisheng,

There are plenty of places to get started on the Rust Front-end for
GCC if you are interested?

- https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs
- https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
- https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Agood-first-pr

We keep a list of good first pr's which is the best place to start.
Hope this helps.

--Phil

@ 2021-11-16  2:59   ` Deng Kaisheng
From: Deng Kaisheng @ 2021-11-16  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks!

@ 2021-11-16 10:02 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2021-11-16 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deng Kaisheng; +Cc: gcc

Hi Kaisheng,

On Sat, Nov 13 2021, Deng Kaisheng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Deng Kaisheng, a graduate student in National University of
> Sinapore (NUS) now major in computer science. I've read the
> introduction of your organization and I'm quite interested in what
> you're doing.
>
> I want to do something and contribute to the community, and I wonder
> if there is something I can do. I major in computer science since
> undergraduate with a solid foundation in CS, and I'm also confident in
> my fast-learning skills. I have programming skills in C++, Python,
> Java, Objective-C, etc., and database skills in MySQL and Cassandra.
>
> I wonder if your organization is going to take part in the GSoC 2022,
> if possible, I would like to contribute to your project in GSOC 2022.
>
> I am looking forward to your reply!

I am delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.  As far as
GSoC is concerned, at this time I can only point you to
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode and specifically to
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply which explains
some of the steps you can take to familiarize yourself with our code
base.

Apart from what is described there, any further advice would depend on
what part of GCC you would like to contribute to.   Most of the projects
listed at the top of the page linked above will still be relevant in
2022.

If you have any further questions, this is the right spot to ask.

Good luck,

Martin