(I'm on the list, please don't send me extra copies. Thanks.) Den 21-Sep-99 23:46:15 skrev John W. Stevens følgende om "Re: type based aliasing again": > They extensions are documented. That documentation is freely available. > That documentation comes with every copy of GCC. The ISO C standard > does *NOT* come with every copy of GCC. > In some respects, the GCC extensions are more public, and better > "published" than the ISO C standard is, from the standpoint of > a GCC user. :-) Is it unreasonable to expect the user to know ISO C? If not, perhaps we could help the user get some information. There's a good chance that a visit to the local library will dig up books on the subject. Would it be a good idea for the GCC documentation to include a list of such books? > You are incorrect. Consider the economic impact of being required > to change a body of code that is more than 1 million lines . . . > Then mulitply that by the total number of such bodies of code. It has been mentioned countless times already: If you are unwilling or unable to fix your code, or for some other reason will not be fixing your code, then use -fno-strict-aliasing (or an older version of GCC). What IMHO is interesting is how to help those programmers who know or think they have written code with aliasing problems and would like to find and fix those pieces of code. Regards, /¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯T¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\ | Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.k-net.dk | | Registered Phase5 developer | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ | | A4000, 866 kkeys/s (RC5-64) | "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC | | Machine-independent: Does not run on any existing machine. |