From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
To: Oleg Krivosheev <kriol@FNAL.GOV>
Cc: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Direct CVS Access to egcs sources
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:42:00 -0000	[thread overview]

  In message < Pine.GSO.3.96.980114101424.691A-100000@drabble.fnal.gov >you write:
  > how you're going to bump snapshot number/date/location?
  > Just randomly from time to time?
Folks have suggested a nightly cron job to bump it.  That's one possibility.

The other is to do it via a weekly cron job for snapshots (which means I'd
have to finish the last 10% of the work necessary to automate snapshots).

Another is to change the date in version.c nightly, but not the version #.

I'm actually open to any one of the these suggestions (or others).  I'd
kinda lean towards the second since that's how Cygnus has worked with
gcc2 snapshots and our repository in the past.  However if folks prefer
something different I'm not going to force any particular scheme on y'all.

  > And what about people doing hard work
  > testing latest snapshots on different
  > computer/systems? Looks like it
  > doesn't make any sense now?
It still makes sense, we're just changing the focus of the distribution of
the source code from snapshots to direct CVS access.

In fact, one of the nice things CVS does for us is you'll be able to
actually check out any given snapshot, or update your sources to any
given snapshot (moving either forward or backward in time!)

cvs co -regcs_ss_yymmdd

Would check out snapshot yymmdd

Or, if you already had a repository and wanted to make it look like
snapshot yymmdd you'd do

cvs update -regcs_ss_yymmdd

This is possible because we tag each snapshot in the repository.

So, what needs to happen:

  1.  I need to get a new snapshot made.  I put this on the back burner
  to get CVS going and due to company commitments.

  2.  Make some decisions about the version # and when to bump it.

  3.  Finish automating the snapshot process so that it happens on at
  regular intervals.

jeff