* libf2c
@ 1998-02-03 11:59 Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1998-02-03 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I'm afraid I don't understand building Fortran these days, but the new
libf2c process doesn't look right to me.  I did a bootstrap, and
libf2c was configured with an installed compiler (an older gcc, as
this is a Linux box), reading my site autoconf config.site and cache.
It was then built with xgcc (as I expected).

Originally the configuration was careful to avoid
potentially-misleading autoconf configuration files (including
clobbering things with `make clean', contra GNU standards) and ensure
it did everything with GCC_FOR_TARGET (or whetever the old make
variable was called).  I can't immediately point to anything mixing
the compilers can break but what work I've done on the runtime has
always assumed the target compiler is used generally.

[Sorry for getting this stuff wrong in the first place.]

* libf2c
@ 1999-09-20  8:38 Christopher R. Jones
From: Christopher R. Jones @ 1999-09-20  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Redhat Linux 5.2, I have installed gcc2.95.1.  I am trying to building a
program that is wants to link libf2c (-lf2c) but I cannot locate this
library.  I did find libg2c.a.

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@interlog.com

* Re: libf2c
@ 1999-09-21  6:53 Christopher R. Jones
From: Christopher R. Jones @ 1999-09-21  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM; +Cc: gcc

>In a message dated 9/20/99 10:39:34 AM EST, cj@interlog.com writes:

>>  program that is wants to link libf2c (-lf2c) but I cannot locate this
>>  library.  I did find libg2c.a.

>libg2c makes a serious attempt to be upward compatible from the libf2c which
>comes with f2c.  Linking normally is done by the g77 command, which implies
>-lg2c.

So I can create a sym link libf2c.a -> libg2c.a and there should be no
problem.  I have been reading about binary incompatibility between files
compiled with previous egcs versions and gcc-2.95.1

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@interlog.com

* Re: libf2c
@ 1999-09-21 18:18 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-09-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cj; +Cc: gcc

In a message dated 9/21/99 8:51:54 AM EST, cj@interlog.com writes:

> So I can create a sym link libf2c.a -> libg2c.a and there should be no
>  problem.  I have been reading about binary incompatibility between files
>  compiled with previous egcs versions and gcc-2.95.1
The binary compatibility problem shouldn't arise between code newly compiled
by the same version of gcc which made libg2c.a.  I have not seen any problems
running any f77 style code, translated or not, and associated support
libraries, over any of the egcs releases.  The real problems are with changes
in g++, which needn't enter here.

Tim

* Re: libf2c
@ 1999-09-21 18:45 Christopher R. Jones
From: Christopher R. Jones @ 1999-09-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM; +Cc: gcc

>> So I can create a sym link libf2c.a -> libg2c.a and there should be no
>>  problem.  I have been reading about binary incompatibility between files
>>  compiled with previous egcs versions and gcc-2.95.1
>The binary compatibility problem shouldn't arise between code newly compiled
>by the same version of gcc which made libg2c.a.  I have not seen any
problems
>running any f77 style code, translated or not, and associated support
>libraries, over any of the egcs releases.  The real problems are with
changes
>in g++, which needn't enter here.
Right you are.  I creates a symbolic link and the program complied, linked
and runs fine.  The program is esp-r
( http://www.strath.ac.uk/Departments/ESRU/esru.html ) , a dynamic thermal
simulation environment for the analysis of energy and mass flows and
environmental control systems within the built environment.  Originally
designed for Sun and Silicon graphics workstations, it now builds and runs
on Linux with gcc.  Now I am working on correcting the errors on Solaris 7,
Intel with gcc.

Thanks for your help.

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue