From: Thomas Hiller <hiller@merlin.iuk.tu-harburg.de>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: 2 (small?) problems
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:22:23 -0000	[thread overview]

Hello,

I encountered 2 problems with the current snapshot (beside some others already
mentioned on the list).

1)	c++filt is not installed.

2)	Shared libg++ problem.
	I have a problem (also with the normal gcc), when I install the compiler
	in a non-standard place (e.g. /work/egcs). The shared libg++ is not
	found. I had to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include $prefix/lib. Is there
	a portable way to set the shared library path from the compiler ? The
	compiler already issues -L$prefix/lib.

Greetings
	Thomas

Thomas Hiller				email: hiller@tu-harburg.d400.de
TU Hamburg-Harburg
Zentrallabor Informations- und Kommunikationstechnik
Harburger Schloss-Str. 20		Tel.: +49-40-7718-3448
D - 21071 Hamburg			Fax : +49-40-7718-2579

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Bernd Schmidt <crux@Pool.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: GCC Projects?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:11:59 -0000	[thread overview]

> I wouldn't lose sleep if it just disappeared one day.

I'd be happy to provide a patch to make it disappear. Do you want one?

Bernd

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Andi Kleen <kdp0101@hpmail.lrz-muenchen.de>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: prototyping
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:11:59 -0000	[thread overview]

Per Bothner <bothner@cygnus.com> writes:

> > One of the things we should be doing -- switching to cpplib across
> > the board instead of for just the fixing of header files.
> >
> > Per, are there any technical reasons why we can't start this soon?
>
> There is no particular reason why we cannot switch from cpp compiled
> from cccp.c to one compiled from cpplib.c+cpplib.c.  Just change
> CCCP=ccccp to CCCP=cppmain in the Makefile.  However, there are
> years of changes to cccp made after cpplib was forked off that have
> not been merged into cpplib.  It would great if we could have a volunteer
> go through the RCS files for cccp.c and cexp.y, evaluate the changes,
> and integrate them into cpplib.c and cppexp.c.  In the case of changes
> where it is non-obvious how to make them in cpplib, I'd be happy to
> advice or even write the changes.  What I do not have time for is
> the tedious task of sifting through the changes, making the easy
> patches, and flagging the difficult ones.

I would be happy to do at least some of this work of sifting through
the RCS files. Are they available somewhere?

-Andi

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: N8TM@aol.com <N8TM@aol.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Will egcs support MachTen?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:11:59 -0000	[thread overview]

I have been following g77 alpha successfully on MachTen 4.03.  In view of the
interest in merging g77 alpha and egcs work, I'd like to know if egcs can be
made to work on MachTen.  I spent a few hours at it yesterday without
success.
Tim

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Clive Nicolson <srwmcln@baby.bedroom.gen.nz>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: front end interface
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:42:06 -0000	[thread overview]

>> I've mentioned this in private email but I should let the list know as
>> well: my alias code in the back end recognizes certain C function names.
>> I believe this is correct because all languages will be linking with the C
>> library and must mangle or prohibit any names which conflict.  For example,
>> Fortran symbols traditionally have a "_" added to the end.
>>
>If I understand this correctly, you're depending on memcpy() being named 'memcpy' ?!
>
>This leads into trouble with the current openVMS ports (vax and alpha), where most
>library functions are '#define'd with a DECC$ in front (and others have a __asm() appended
>to their declaration). So the compiler doesn't see memcpy but DECC$MEMCPY.

This is somewhat in violation of the ANSI C rules about names. I have a patched version
of gcc 2.7.1 (vax vms) that translates ANSI C names (to those found in the DEC
runtime libraries) in the assembler, this is much like that done by DEC's DECC compiler.

I still have to fix the passing of some attributes via the name prefixing hack used by
gcc vax/vms.

Clive.

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: [EGCS] Re: double alignment patch for x86
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:29:01 -0000	[thread overview]

 >> It takes 2 additional cycles per double access.. this can sum up
 >> to 30% runtime penalty on important algorithms like matrix
 >> multiply...

 Toon> This is on a Pentium ?

It's about right for daxpy on my pentium.

-- Dave (recycled physicist)