* Re: Reload patch to improve 386 code
@ 1997-08-18 15:11 meissner
From: meissner @ 1997-08-18 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

|   In message <9708181258.AA19853@moene.indiv.nluug.nl>you write:
|   > Isn't this something that would have been solved [ coniunctivus
|   > irrealis ! ] by live range splitting ?
| Not entirely.  live range splitting should significantly reduce
| the number of spills, but it won't always be able to completely
| eliminate them (in theory it can completely eliminate them, but
| in practice it doesn't).  Thus you still need to deal with spilling
| registers.

Yes, I think it is obvious that you will always need to spill registers.  Also,
live range splitting as I'm currently implementing it will still be generating
spills.  I do think the previous posting on register spills is also helpful and
plan to look at it when I get in the office (I didn't mention to disparage it,
my first posting was made pre-coffee).  My comment on reload is meant for more
reload as we currently know it.  I think it is an horrible kludge that reload
is run as a pass after global-alloc, and that it forces reload registers not to
be used for any other purpose (which is murder on the x86 with each register
being special purpose in some way).  I think it should be integrated into
global-alloc, taking lifetimes, ranges, etc. into consideration, possibly
leaving the fossil reload for when you are not optimizing.  Given that reload
has pretty much been the place where we all fear to tread, at least since RMS
handed over the gcc2 reigns to Kenner (and even in the 1.3x time frame, I got
the sense that RMS no longer had a good handle on reload anymore), I think it
is time for a rethought.  Now, given it is a rather critical piece of the
compiler, it may take months if not years to get it better than it currently
is.

* Re: Monday morning
@ 1997-08-18 15:22 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-08-18 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

  In message <XFMail.970818091340.arsphl@oeil.qc.ca>you write:
  > Hello,
  >
  >         I have been reading the list and looking at the snapshot
  > over the weekend, and it seem's clear that I'm a bit lost.
Are you having trouble with the snapshot?

  > Can some one point to me some reading to do in the hope that I can
  > contribute one day something usefull?
Depends on how you want to contribute.  If you want to get involved with
the internals of the compiler, then the place to start is to learn about
RTL, INSNs and such from the GCC manual.

If you want to contribute via testing, then hold on just a little while
until we get the testsuites up and going.

Jeff

* Re: prototyping
@ 1997-08-18 15:36 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-08-18 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

  In message <k2203rvs4u.fsf@zero.aec.at>you write:
  > > advice or even write the changes.  What I do not have time for is
  > > the tedious task of sifting through the changes, making the easy
  > > patches, and flagging the difficult ones.
  >
  > I would be happy to do at least some of this work of sifting through
  > the RCS files. Are they available somewhere?
Yea.  I can get them for you.

ftp.cygnus.com:/pub/egcs/cpplibstuff.tar.gz

Has the RCS files for cccp.c, cexp.y and a couple of the cpplib files.

Good luck!

Jeff

* Monday morning
@ 1997-08-18 14:53 Philippe Laliberte