* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)
@ 1997-08-19 17:18 Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 1997-08-19 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>   In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.970819004905.4653A-100000@drabble>you write:
>   > can old scheduler be the source of the problem?
> Could be -- I don't think gcc-2.7* scheduled instructions on the
> x86 machines at all.
>
> So, one interesting test would be to run the benchmark with "-O2",
> then again with "-O2 -fno-schedule-insns -fno-schedule-insns2".
>
> That would tell us if we need to focus on the scheduler or not.

And if you look for the best performance right now, I suggest to try
-O2 -fno-schedule-insns .  Scheduling after reload can't hurt register
allocation, and it might do some good.  OTOH, it can hurt when it
disables peepholes.  It's a bity we don't have any actual peephole
optimization pass - combine.c works before reload and is limited in the
number and kind of insns it can combine, and the peepholes used by final
don't allow re-iteration and are not designed to recognize insns sequences
with some unrelated insns in-between.

* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks
@ 1997-08-19 17:18 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1997-08-19 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Speaking as a g77 pentium-y person, I'd disregard these mdbnch results
for now.  I doubt detailed discussion of g77 and f2c options is
appropriate here.

[What does -O6 do, anyhow?]

* Re: Hello, Contrib Back end
@ 1997-08-19 17:31 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-08-19 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

  In message <199708191618.MAA01052@maribor.pfnet.com>you write:
  > Hi all.
  >
  > Thanks for creating this project, I think it's very important to merge
  > these efforts.  I'll contribute back end support for the 3-Com PalmPilot
  > PDA, done by myself, Kresten Krab Thorup, Ian Goldberg and others, and
  > maintained by myself.  about 150k patches to gcc, small ones for binutils
  > and gdb.
Great!

Note we'll need copyright paperwork and possibly an assignment from
your employeer before we can integrate the work.  Similarly for
others that have contributed to the project.

We're trying to get the assignment/disclaimer paperwork up on the
web, so hopefully you'll be able to get things moving on that front
soon.

jeff

* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)
@ 1997-08-19 17:54 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1997-08-19 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

 Jeffrey> Could be -- I don't think gcc-2.7* scheduled instructions on
 Jeffrey> the x86 machines at all.

FWIW, the last gcc2 snapshot I could build (with -m586 in) typically
seemed to gain about 20% on a 586 with single-precision Fortran code,
roughly consistent with numbers reported by proprietary offerings at
the time, though some with `pentium optimization' only seemed to
perform about as well as the gcc-2.7-based g77 (generating 486 code).

If people care about Fortran performance I'll eventually do some
realistic tests on a 586, but have no access to a 686; this isn't
necessarily trivial, though, and I'm more interested in the release of
a correct g77 0.5.21 at this stage.

* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)
@ 1997-08-19 13:19 H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1997-08-19 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

> HJ, can you work with this person to find out _why_ performance
> is suffering?

I am still working on prototyping. But if noone is looking at it,
I will take a look.

H.J.

* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)
@ 1997-08-19  9:47 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1997-08-19  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

 H> I downloaded this a few days ago - compiles and runs without any
 H> problems on a PentiumPro Linux 2.0.30 (Redhat 4.2) system - but:

 H> execution speed (floating point) of a test case (mdbench)

Note that mdbnch (at least the version I know) is in double precision.
Thus other performance considerations are typically overshadowed on
ppro by the double alignment problems.  See the g77 manual.

 H>  - I am back right now to the old
 H> stuff, unless I get to hear a convincing reason why to switch.

I doubt it's wise to use the g77 in egcs seriously at least until it's
based on a version that's completed alpha testing for g77 0.5.21.

* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)
@ 1997-08-19  7:36 Robert Wilhelm
From: Robert Wilhelm @ 1997-08-19  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

> Can someone point me the location of mdbench?

http://www.sissa.it/furio/Mdbnch/info.html

Robert

* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)
@ 1997-08-19  6:01 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-08-19  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

  In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.970819004905.4653A-100000@drabble>you write:
  > can old scheduler be the source of the problem?
Could be -- I don't think gcc-2.7* scheduled instructions on the
x86 machines at all.

So, one interesting test would be to run the benchmark with "-O2",
then again with "-O2 -fno-schedule-insns -fno-schedule-insns2".

That would tell us if we need to focus on the scheduler or not.

seem like haifa could help the pentium pro, however the i386.md
file would have to be tweaked to get the best performance out of
haifa.

Jeff

* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)
@ 1997-08-19  5:08 ` Oleg Krivosheev
From: Oleg Krivosheev @ 1997-08-19  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

  Hi,

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> HJ, can you work with this person to find out _why_ performance
> is suffering?
>
> If nobody takes the time to analyze these problems, then performance
> is never going to get significantly better.

can old scheduler be the source of the problem?
i was able to figure out switch --enable-haifa
only looking into ./configure script. New scheduler
is off  by default.

Can someone point me the location of mdbench?

i'll benchmark it...

regards

OK

>   In message <m0x0fih-0004ecC@ocean.lucon.org>you write:

                                     Oleg Krivosheev,
                                     MS 345, AD/Physics,
                                     Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory,
                                     P.O.Box 500, Batavia, Illinois, 60510.
                                     phone: (630) 840 8460
                                     FAX  : (630) 840 4552
                                     Email: kriol@fnal.gov

* Re: egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)
@ 1997-08-19  4:27 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-08-19  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

HJ, can you work with this person to find out _why_ performance
is suffering?

If nobody takes the time to analyze these problems, then performance
is never going to get significantly better.

  In message <m0x0fih-0004ecC@ocean.lucon.org>you write:

@ 1997-08-19  3:52 H.J. Lu
                   ` (2 more replies)