* new gcc configure question
@ 1997-08-24  3:43 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 1997-08-24  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

When building cross, tools are normally installed as $(target)-tool.

What is the correct Makefile variable to use in the new autoconfed
stuff?

I am trying to build gnat 3.09 cross on top of egcs and the latest gcc2
snapshots and discovering that it is installing tools as $(target)-tool
which give me CPU-unknown-rtems-tool instead of CPU-rtems-tool.  I am
configuring for CPU-rtems so CPU-rtems-tool is expected name.

Thanks.

--joel

* Re: Building of generated parser files
@ 1997-08-24  3:43 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 1997-08-24  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

    The intention is that people who configure normally, without
    --enable-maintainer-mode, will not have to worry about the timestamp
    of their configure.in vs. their configure, and so forth.  This matters
    because most people will not have autoconf or automake installed.

    I believe this is a correct use of a --enable option for configure.

It sounds correct to me.

    We are discussing making the gcc configure script support
    --enable-maintainer-mode to not rebuild the info files from the
    texinfo files.

That seems like a legitimate use of an --enable option,
but I am not sure the change is actually an improvement.

* Re: new gcc configure question
@ 1997-08-24  3:43 Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1997-08-24  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

   Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 20:59:42 -0500 (CDT)
   From: Joel Sherrill <joel@OARcorp.com>

   When building cross, tools are normally installed as $(target)-tool.

   What is the correct Makefile variable to use in the new autoconfed
   stuff?

${target_alias} is the equivalent of the old ${target}.

However, you may want to instead use ${program_transform_name}.  See
the Makefile for examples of its use.

Ian