From: J. Kean Johnston <jkj@sco.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Much c-torture success on 970825 :-)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 01:43:01 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi again.

On SCO Open Server 5.0, in both COFF and ELF modes, egcs 970825 passes
c-torture with flying colours. It only has a single expected failure.
I am about to do all of the libg++ tests, and will keep you all informed
of success on that front.

Also of interest, it is currently building cleanly on SCO UnixWare SVR5.
This is a HUGE win for the EGCS project. Well done everyone, this is
great. Just for the sake of satisfying my perverse curiosity, I am
going to try and build XFree86 3.3.1 with the newly built, fresh out
of the box egcs, and see what happens.

JKJ

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: 970825 Snapshot Available
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 01:43:01 -0000	[thread overview]

	What happened to my SMP patch?

There have so many people reporting bugs, submitting patches, etc, that it has
been impossible to handle them all in a timely fashion.  I expect that things
will get better soon, once we get past the initial surge caused by the project
startup.  There is also the problem that I am new at this, and still trying
to figure out how to deal with all of the email, prioritize work, etc.

So far, I have been concentrating on the build problems.  I wanted to get
as many as possible of the serious build problems fixed early, so that more
people would be able to try egcs.  This is also important since we are
planning on making an initial release sometime within the next few weeks.

I just today started looking at the various patches that have been submitted
since the project started.

I am already working on your SMP patch.  I expect to check it in today
unchanged.  My only comment is to notice that the f/runtime Makefile is
missing dependencies.  If one of the lib*77 libraries is updated, libf2c.a
won't be updated.  There were some partial dependencies for this before your
change, but they were flawed, so I does appear that they should be removed.
Still, it seems that this should be fixed someday.

	The build cannot be done without it on an SMP machine.

I wasn't aware of that.  I thought it was a problem only if you used the
-j option.  If -jN N!=1 is the default, can't you simply work around this
by using -j1?

Jim

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: J. Kean Johnston <jkj@sco.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: libf2c.a doesnt obey MULTILIB
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 01:43:01 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi all.

Not sure if this is a known problem or not, but when building g77, it
does not obey the multilib rules when building libf2c.a. I am
assuming it should.

JKJ