From: Craig Burley <burley@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: g77 configuring, docs (was Re: 970825 Snapshot Available)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 06:19:01 -0000	[thread overview]

>I'm tempted to do both a gcc2 -> egcs and f77dev -> egcs merge
>as soon as we get the first release out the door.  I don't think
>we want to introduce too much new code this close to a release.

The patches to fix up the g77 docs are *very* safe, in case
you're wondering -- aside from deleting a gratuitous (and
non-conforming-in-ANSI-C ;-) comma after the last item in
an enum, they affect only the documentation, not the compiler
or the library.  (I'm referring to patches to intdoc.c, intrin.h,
the intdoc.in->intdoc.h renaming, and so on.)

Generally, the fixes I'm making to other parts of g77 are quite
safe too, because I have a release coming up in less than a week,
but only alpha testing and the release itself will "prove" just
how safe these fixes are.

One of the reasons I did the intdoc.in->intdoc.h change *now*,
instead of putting it off, is that I wanted to reduce the size
of future .diff files that would be needed to make the effective
rename.  g77 0.5.20 already had intdoc.h, it is true, but it
was quite small compared to the one pending for 0.5.21, which is
"full" (every single intrinsic documented!), so it seemed like
now was a worthwhile time to switch.

In the larger scale of egcs, I doubt this concern would amount
to much, as I expect the part of a future release->release patch
to rename intdoc.in to intdoc.h will amount to less than 1% of
the total patch.  ;-)

        tq vm, (burley)

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Some Linux patches
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:33:17 -0000	[thread overview]

  In message <m0x3W76-0004ecC@ocean.lucon.org>you write:
  > Hi,
  >
  > Here are 2 Linux patches.
I've installed these patches.

However, in the future, can you _please_ tell us what problem you're
trying to solve with each patch.  It wastes our time to have to
recreate whatever analysis you've already done in the process of
creating a patch to fix a problem.

Jeff

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: HAVE_STDLIB_H
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:36:27 -0000	[thread overview]

Note, the HAVE_STDLIB_H patches are breaking builds under sunos4.

These either need to be installed compiler-wide or not installed
at all.

The basic problem is our good friend "free", which conflicts
with the declaration in tree.h and stdlib.h

And we can't just simply take out the decl in tree.h because some
code doesn't include stdlib.h yet.

Jeff

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: A config patch
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:58:51 -0000	[thread overview]

  In message <m0x3YrD-0004ecC@ocean.lucon.org>you write:
  > A small patch for egcs.
  >

  > --
  > H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.ai.mit.edu)
  > ---
  > Mon Aug 25 17:31:49 1997  H.J. Lu  (hjl@gnu.ai.mit.edu)
  >
  > 	* mh-alphapic, mt-alphapic: New.
I see no point to this patch.

There's no reference to these files in the toplevel configure.in;
therefore, they will never be used.

Furthermore, it is my understanding that the alpha ports generate
PIC code by default (thus making -fPIC and -fpic meaningless for
the alpha).

Again, I have to ask, what problem are you trying to solve with
this patch?

jeff

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Lassi A. Tuura <Lassi.Tuura@cern.ch>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Test run and a question
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 08:07:15 -0000	[thread overview]

Mike Stump wrote:
> > when support for namespaces
>
> The standard answer is when you add support and get it in, then it
> will be in.  :-)

Talking as one who knows *very* little about gcc internals... How big an
effort are we talking about here?  I would presume the
template/namespace twistedness (Koenig rules) is the most difficult
part...

//lat
--
Lassi.Tuura@cern.ch          There's no sunrise without a night