From: Robert Lipe <robertl@dgii.com>
To: Bill Walker <bw@student.ecok.edu>
Cc: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: 970929 snapshot on SCO
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 13:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>  I am using SCO OSR 5.0.2d, with SCO's development system on
>  an Altos 17000 with 4 processors.

Waaah.  I want four processors. :-)   I'm glad to see more SCO
users on this list.   It'll help keep Kean and myself from feeling
so alone.

>  Assembler: libgcc2.c
>  	aline 172	: Section name too long
>  	aline 174	: Illegal subtraction
>  	aline 191	: Illegal subtraction

This has been discussed in the group before.   Look in the egcs mailing
list archives for conversations involving Jason and myself.

The summary of problem is that OpenServer generates both COFF and ELF
and when the new Dwarf2 unwinding stuff was added, it used features
that aren't available in the OpenServer COFF tools (long section names
and forward references are the two that are biting you right now, but
there are more to come. :-)   There are at least a couple of ways
around it, and some of them are described in the thread titled:
	"controlling exception type per target"
You should also blow through the thread titled:
	"970917 eh problems - bootstrap failure"

I've asked for guidance on implementing a Better Way, but right now,
the simplest solution is to edit defaults.h and change the #define of
DWARF2_UNWIND_INFO from 1 to 0.  Do not undef it.

My make bootstrap of 0929 on 5.0.4 with this kludge just finished
scant moments ago.

Enjoy.

RJL