* I am totally lost with libstdc++
@ 1997-10-10 10:51 H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1997-10-10 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

While looking at libstdc++, I am totally lost. I don't know how anyone
can get basic_string to work on any platforms.

string::string (const char *) checks range and throws an exception,
out_of_range (const string &), if necsssary, via OUTOFRANGE, which
is defined as

#define OUTOFRANGE(cond) \
  do { if (!(cond)) throw out_of_range (#cond); } while (0)

As you can see, it calls string::string (const char *). Now we
get an endless recursive call. I have no idea how it will work
on any platforms. I will see what I can do.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.ai.mit.edu)

* Re: I am totally lost with libstdc++
@ 1997-10-10 17:21 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-10-10 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: egcs

> While looking at libstdc++, I am totally lost. I don't know how anyone
> can get basic_string to work on any platforms.

Have you applied Jason's patch?

> string::string (const char *) checks range and throws an exception,

Where?  I can't find any place where basic_string::basic_string(const
char*) can ever have an out-of-range condition.

> out_of_range (const string &), if necsssary, via OUTOFRANGE, which
> is defined as
>
> #define OUTOFRANGE(cond) \
>   do { if (!(cond)) throw out_of_range (#cond); } while (0)

> As you can see, it calls string::string (const char *). Now we
> get an endless recursive call. I have no idea how it will work
> on any platforms. I will see what I can do.

Have you actually succeeded in getting an endless recursive call?