* Re: C++ and DEC Unix: string too long
@ 1997-10-28 15:21 Corey Kosak
From: Corey Kosak @ 1997-10-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Greg Galloway

> Has anyone got EGCS/C++ to work on an Alpha under DEC Unix 3.2?
> I get an error about string too long because the mangled name of
> a template instantiation (hash_map in this case) is 4144 chars
> long.

Amazing that it's the 90's and some people [DEC] still write software with
arbitrary fixed limits.  "Surely no one would ever want a symbol longer than
4K characters."

The standard workaround, as far as I know, is to subclass string, something
like

class mystring : public string {
};

`mystring' needs to have constructor stubs for all the constructors in
`string', plus probably stubs for the overloaded operators as well.

* Re: C++ and DEC Unix: string too long
@ 1997-10-28 19:48 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-10-28 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corey Kosak; +Cc: egcs, gregg

> > Has anyone got EGCS/C++ to work on an Alpha under DEC Unix 3.2?
> > I get an error about string too long because the mangled name of
> > a template instantiation (hash_map in this case) is 4144 chars
> > long.
>
> Amazing that it's the 90's and some people [DEC] still write software with
> arbitrary fixed limits.  "Surely no one would ever want a symbol longer than
> 4K characters."

Well, there's no good reason for the symbol in question to be anywhere
near 4K characters -- that's a defect in the mangling scheme.

> The standard workaround, as far as I know, is to subclass string, something
> like
>
> class mystring : public string {
> };

Yes, this is the technique I use (I also have used it because it avoids
the problems with function.h with g++ 2.7.2.x).

* Re: C++ and DEC Unix: string too long
@ 1997-10-28 17:57 ` dave madden
From: dave madden @ 1997-10-28 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregg; +Cc: egcs

 =>From: Greg Galloway <gregg@eoeml.gtri.gatech.edu>
 =>...
 =>Has anyone got EGCS/C++ to work on an Alpha under DEC Unix 3.2?
 =>I get an error about string too long because the mangled name of
 =>a template instantiation (hash_map in this case) is 4144 chars
 =>long.

I've gotten the same message under DEC Unix 4.0; you can get around it
by not compiling with debugging information (-g).  (Of course, this
means you can't debug, but that's the way it goes.)  I don't know any
other workaround, but would be glad to hear of one...

d.

* C++ and DEC Unix: string too long
@ 1997-10-28 12:21 Greg Galloway