From: Robert Lipe <robertl@dgii.com>
To: jpr@sco.com, egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: toplevel 'make' in egcs  trips on itself.
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:34:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> | JP, this should circumvent the problem you had building info.
>
> Your claim was that this would build on OSR 5.0.4.  You didn't at first,
> mention that you were using GNU make, and possibly other "helpers".

Yeah, yeah.   Sue me. :-)

At least the patch fixed your problem building info, no?

>         cc  -DIN_GCC    -g   -o ../cc1plus \
>               call.o decl.o errfn.o expr.o pt.o sig.o typeck2.o  class.o decl2.o

This is a no-no.   It's building cc1plus with the native compiler, which
should never happen.   This is a top-level makefile problem.   I guess
I do them out of order out of habit.

Do a 'make bootstrap' from the top-level if your build cc is anything
but a gcc mutant.   I always just cd into gcc and do a 'make bootstrap'
there.

I'll cc this message to egcs to see how we can better head off the
(surely common) case of someone typing 'make' in the top level
and expecting everything to just build if their native cc isn't
gcc.

It's so obvious that I never thought of it...

>         cc -c  -DIN_GCC   -g  -W -Wall    -If -I./f -I. -I. -I./config f/bad.c -
> o f/bad.o
> error: Invalid subargument: -W-Wall

This is more of the same.  Using the native compiler to build
fortran libraries is not going to work.

RJL