From: Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com>
To: law@cygnus.com
Cc: Brett Dikeman <brett@arthur.malebolge.com>,
	egcs@cygnus.com, Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>,
	hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)
Subject: Re: as problem, PPC
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 03:21:00 -0000	[thread overview]

At 07:46, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>  In message < v03102803b08309654df5@[144.89.161.9] >you write:
>  > <grrr>
>  > Ok, I just installed two RPM's from someone who built egcs on the
Linux-ppc
>  > platform.(10-26 snapshot I believe.)
>  > After uninstalling gcc and gcc-c++ packages, I installed the two RPM's
>  > containing egcs-c and egcs-c++.  Both installed fine.
>  > I also installed an RPM with binutils-2.8.1.0.11, which went fine as
well.
>I suggest you contact whomever sets up the RPM (I assume these are
>some kind of "package install" systems?).
>
>jeff

There are some RPM's available from Elliott Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> at
< ftp://ftp.cs.cuc.edu/ > (it was announced on this list). These are quite
preliminary at the moment, but we are working on getting out more uptodate
packages. The most valuable package on this site is the dejagnu-RPM (Thanks
Elliott ;-) ).

My current status is:
- gas/binutils snapshot 971102, built as RPM (BTW, can one safely ignore
the "run libtool --finish" message during "make install_root=/tmp/gas
install"?). I haven't tried building with --enable-shared yet, cause my
last version 970915 still failed during install with this option turned on.
I will try to arrange something with Elliott and put the RPM on FTP.

- egcs-971031, still a pain to build, needs a lot of unofficial patches
from Geoffrey Keating, on a standard out-of-the-box Linux/PPC installation
(libc-0.961212) compiling still fails during libio, complaining about a
missing stdio-lock.h. Also the new libg++-2.8.0b6.3 fails during configure
(while symlinking regex.h / rx.h ?).

Ciao,
Franz.