* Compile SUCCESS! on powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1
@ 1997-11-12  2:44 Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1997-11-12  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Richard Henderson, Elliot Lee

Hi,

the patch
< http://homepages.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/misc/ppclibc1.diff > against
971105, a simple adaption of Richard Henderson's libio patch, solved my
compilation problems for the full-blown egcs. (It compiles, but it fails
the lib tests with "ld exit status 1" with gas-971111 ;-) )

The "problem" on Linux/PPC was the same as on Linux/Alpha, the RedHat 4.2
based non-Intel installations use glibc-961212 (1.99 alpha), which need
special treatment for libc-lock.h and stdio-lock.h. The patch simply
duplicates Richard's patch for powerpc and adds library detection code in
config.guess.

Some points:
- have a close look, it's my first time dealing with configure (BTW, where
to get autoconf-2.12._1_?)
- eventually there is room for unification for Linux-gnulibc1 on
alpha/powerpc/sparc/mips in config.guess/configure.in
- gcc/configure.in for alpha*gnulibc1 adds mkfrag t-linux-gnulibc1, is this
necessary for powerpc?

Bye,
Franz.

* Re: Compile SUCCESS! on powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1
@ 1997-11-12  3:12   ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1997-11-12  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: egcs, Richard Henderson, Elliot Lee

At 11:59 12.11.97 , Richard Henderson wrote:
>> - gcc/configure.in for alpha*gnulibc1 adds mkfrag t-linux-gnulibc1, is this
>> necessary for powerpc?
>
>Probably not.  Alpha changed the name of ld.so along with the
>libc major version number between 1.99 and 2.0.0.

Ah, yes I remember seeing this in the glibc rpm-spec, for alpha its
ld.so.2, for all others ld.so.1.

So the only simpification possible will be common libc/stdio-lock.h
prototypes for alpha and powerpc. Will you do that and submit/check in the
patch?

Thanks,

       [not found] <199711121044.CAA06701@cygnus.com>
@ 1997-11-12  2:58 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1997-11-12  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz Sirl; +Cc: egcs, Richard Henderson, Elliot Lee

On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 11:43:59AM +0100, Franz Sirl wrote:
> - eventually there is room for unification for Linux-gnulibc1 on
> alpha/powerpc/sparc/mips in config.guess/configure.in

M68k, Sparc, and MIPS never used glibc 1.99, but rather linux libc5.

> - gcc/configure.in for alpha*gnulibc1 adds mkfrag t-linux-gnulibc1, is this
> necessary for powerpc?

Probably not.  Alpha changed the name of ld.so along with the
libc major version number between 1.99 and 2.0.0.

r~