* snapshot 971122 and mips-sgi-irix6.2
@ 1997-11-26  6:10 LeBlanc
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: LeBlanc @ 1997-11-26  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I had little difficulty compiling gas from the gas-970915 version
for the mips-sgi-irix6.2 configuration, but when I try to compile
the egcs snapshot 971122 with --with-gnu-as, I get an error as soon
as the new xgcc is used to compile enquire.c, because it tries to
pass the argument -n32 to gas.  I tried removing this from the
specs file, but this simply causes a lot of other errors.

Even if you do not specify --with-gnu-as, the xgcc will try to use
gas if there is a link to it is $(prefix)/mips-sgi-irix6.2/bin/as.

A further difficulty: if you type 'make bootstrap' in the egcs-971122
directory, it uses an old version of gcc to compile the first stage
of the bootstrap, but in the gcc directory the same command uses cc.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk

* Re: snapshot 971122 and mips-sgi-irix6.2
@ 1997-11-26  9:00 ` Ian Lance Taylor
       [not found]   ` <18922.880575012.cygnus.egcs@cygnus.com>
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1997-11-26  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LeBlanc; +Cc: egcs

   Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:04:45 +0000 (GMT)
   From: LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk

   I had little difficulty compiling gas from the gas-970915 version
   for the mips-sgi-irix6.2 configuration, but when I try to compile
   the egcs snapshot 971122 with --with-gnu-as, I get an error as soon
   as the new xgcc is used to compile enquire.c, because it tries to
   pass the argument -n32 to gas.  I tried removing this from the
   specs file, but this simply causes a lot of other errors.

gas doesn't really support Irix 6.

It also shouldn't be necessary.  gcc should work on Irix 6 without
using gas.

I think gas is required on Irix 5 in order to get debugging
information, but not on Irix 6.

Ian

* Re: snapshot 971122 and mips-sgi-irix6.2
@ 1997-11-26 11:28 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1997-11-26 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

 LeBlanc> A further difficulty: if you type 'make bootstrap' in the
 LeBlanc> egcs-971122 directory, it uses an old version of gcc to
 LeBlanc> compile the first stage of the bootstrap, but in the gcc
 LeBlanc> directory the same command uses cc.

AFAICT you need at least GNU make to bootstrap.  I had no success
bootstrapping recent snapshots with (non-GNU) native tools (on irix6
and others).  Apparently other people have; I've no idea what we're
doing differently (aka wrongly) but would be interested in suggestions.

* Re: snapshot 971122 and mips-sgi-irix6.2
@ 1997-11-26 12:10   ` Jeffrey A Law
       [not found]   ` <18922.880575012.cygnus.egcs@cygnus.com>
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-11-26 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: LeBlanc, egcs

  In message < 199711261654.LAA02229@subrogation.cygnus.com >you write:
  > gas doesn't really support Irix 6.
  >
  > It also shouldn't be necessary.  gcc should work on Irix 6 without
  > using gas.
  >
  > I think gas is required on Irix 5 in order to get debugging
  > information, but not on Irix 6.
Does the irix6 assembler handle the difference of labels as used by
the EH unwind code?

I'm pretty sure the irix5 assembler does not handle this case correctly

jeff

@ 1997-11-26 19:56     ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 1997-11-26 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, egcs

> Does the irix6 assembler handle the difference of labels as used by
> the EH unwind code?

Yes.  I had to work around a bug, but it works.

Jason

* Re: snapshot 971122 and mips-sgi-irix6.2
@ 1997-12-28 22:16 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-28 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LeBlanc; +Cc: egcs

  In message <199711261104.LAA13333@afs.mcc.ac.uk>you write:
  > I had little difficulty compiling gas from the gas-970915 version
  > for the mips-sgi-irix6.2 configuration, but when I try to compile
  > the egcs snapshot 971122 with --with-gnu-as, I get an error as soon
  > as the new xgcc is used to compile enquire.c, because it tries to
  > pass the argument -n32 to gas.  I tried removing this from the
  > specs file, but this simply causes a lot of other errors.
My understanding is for irix6 you should _not_ be using gas; you
should use the native assembler.

jeff