From: "Philippe De Muyter" <phdm@macqel.be>
Subject: dwarf2out.c/ASM_OUTPUT_ASCII,ASM_OUTPUT_DWARF_STRING
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 02:59:00 -0000	[thread overview]

testgcc-971128 fails for me with :

    ./xgcc -B./ -O2   -DIN_GCC    -O -g -I./include   -g1 -DIN_LIBGCC2
    -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED -fexceptions  -I.
    -I/share/src/gnu/testgcc-971121 -I/share/src/gnu/testgcc-971121/config \
      -c /share/src/gnu/testgcc-971121/cp/tinfo.cc
    Assembler: tinfo.cc
     aline 885 : Fatal: unknown size specification
     aline 885 : Fatal: syntax error
     aline 885 : Fatal: invalid instruction name

where assembler lin 885 is as follows :

        .ascii "eh\0"   ;# CIE Augmentation

which is output using ASM_OUTPUT_DWARF_STRING (defined in dwarf2out.c)

Testing egcs, I do not get that failure, because one uses there
ASM_OUTPUT_ASCII that has been carefully defined by many config files,
but one uses it only if flag_debug_asm is not set !

The only intended difference between ASM_OUTPUT_DWARF_STRING and
ASM_OUTPUT_ASCII is to not output the final '\n', to be able to put
a comment on the same line, instead of on the next or previous line.
I do not think we should request the about 48 ports that define
ASM_OUTPUT_ASCII to add a definition for ASM_OUTPUT_DWARF_STRING.

If we really need to be able to put a comment on the same line as the string,
perhaps we could modify all the target-dependent ASM_OUTPUT_ASCII macros
to not output the final '\n', modify the documentation for ASM_OUTPUT_ASCII,
and add a '\n' after each invocation of ASM_OUTPUT_ASCII.

But for me, having the comment on the previous or next line is enough.

Philippe

PS : dwarf2out.c in egcs and testgcc are different for no reason :
macro name, assert instead of if () abort(),...