* Re: install stuff
       [not found] <199712011518.HAA21889@cygnus.com>
@ 1997-12-01 11:08 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-01 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz Sirl; +Cc: egcs

  In message <199712011518.HAA21889@cygnus.com>you write:
  > >Can you have examples of problems this causes?  I've had no problems with
  > >this on the alpha (either osf or linux).
  >
  > Ok, eg. for powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1:
  > - configure calls config.guess before determing the cc to use
  > - config.guess defaults to ${CC-cc} for the compiler
  > - if CC is not set and cc is not in the path (gcc only system, egcs also
  > does not install any symlink from gcc to cc), all compile attempts in
  > config.guess will fail and some default values will be used.
Ah.  I see.

I guess linux is one of the few systems that doesn't have "cc" of some
sort (either a vendor compiler or as a link/front-end to gcc).

I'll cobble up something.

Jeff

* Re: install stuff
@ 1997-12-01 11:33   ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1997-12-01 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

At 20:08 01.12.97 , Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>  In message <199712011518.HAA21889@cygnus.com>you write:
>  > >Can you have examples of problems this causes?  I've had no problems
with
>  > >this on the alpha (either osf or linux).
>  >
>  > Ok, eg. for powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1:
>  > - configure calls config.guess before determing the cc to use
>  > - config.guess defaults to ${CC-cc} for the compiler
>  > - if CC is not set and cc is not in the path (gcc only system, egcs also
>  > does not install any symlink from gcc to cc), all compile attempts in
>  > config.guess will fail and some default values will be used.
>Ah.  I see.
>
>I guess linux is one of the few systems that doesn't have "cc" of some
>sort (either a vendor compiler or as a link/front-end to gcc).

Linux does usually have a link from gcc to cc, but Linux also usually has
some sort of package management like RPM. So being a careful installer I
removed gcc with rpm -e gcc  (which also removes the symlink, headers,
etc.) and installed egcs with make install. Upgraded to the next egcs
snapshot and voila, my ppclibc1 stuff was no longer working. Took me quite
a while til I noticed what was happening ;-).

Bye,
Franz.

* Re: install stuff
@ 1997-12-01 11:32 ` Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 1997-12-01 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meissner; +Cc: Franz.Sirl-kernel, law, egcs

> |   > Ok, eg. for powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1:
> |   > - configure calls config.guess before determing the cc to use
> |   > - config.guess defaults to ${CC-cc} for the compiler
> |   > - if CC is not set and cc is not in the path (gcc only system, egcs also
> |   > does not install any symlink from gcc to cc), all compile attempts in
> |   > config.guess will fail and some default values will be used.
> | Ah.  I see.
> |
> | I guess linux is one of the few systems that doesn't have "cc" of some
> | sort (either a vendor compiler or as a link/front-end to gcc).
> |
> | I'll cobble up something.
>
> Hmm, both of my systems (pentium pro and powerpc) have /usr/bin/cc, which is a
> symlink to gcc.  These are part of the standard packages (gcc-2.7.2.1-2 on the

Same here.  pentium pro,  Linux SuSE 5.0.

* Re: install stuff
@ 1997-12-01 11:19 meissner
From: meissner @ 1997-12-01 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz.Sirl-kernel, law; +Cc: egcs

|   > Ok, eg. for powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1:
|   > - configure calls config.guess before determing the cc to use
|   > - config.guess defaults to ${CC-cc} for the compiler
|   > - if CC is not set and cc is not in the path (gcc only system, egcs also
|   > does not install any symlink from gcc to cc), all compile attempts in
|   > config.guess will fail and some default values will be used.
| Ah.  I see.
|
| I guess linux is one of the few systems that doesn't have "cc" of some
| sort (either a vendor compiler or as a link/front-end to gcc).
|
| I'll cobble up something.

Hmm, both of my systems (pentium pro and powerpc) have /usr/bin/cc, which is a
symlink to gcc.  These are part of the standard packages (gcc-2.7.2.1-2 on the
x86, gcc-2.7.2-2L on the powerpc).

* Re: install stuff
@ 1997-12-01 10:45 ` The Unknown User-ID
From: The Unknown User-ID @ 1997-12-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meissner; +Cc: Franz.Sirl-kernel, egcs

  In message < 199712011703.MAA18782@tweedledumb.cygnus.com >you write:
  > Yes you need a new binutils (either the gas snapshot in the egcs directory
  > or HJ's new binutils release).  The specific problem I noticed was the
  > patch that put @local on calls to local functions would not work with the
  > old gas.
Thanks for the conform.  I've added the entry.

jeff

* Re: install stuff
@ 1997-12-01  9:03 meissner
From: meissner @ 1997-12-01  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz.Sirl-kernel, law; +Cc: egcs

@ 1997-12-01  7:38   ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1997-12-01  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

At 15:34 01.12.97 , Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>  In message <199712010928.BAA13558@cygnus.com>you write:
>  > configure:
>  > Make sure cc (gcc is _not_ enough, eventually make a symlink from gcc to
>  > cc) is in your PATH or start configure with "CC=/path/to/your/ccompiler
>  > configure", otherwise config.guess will guess wrong for some native
>  > platforms (notably alpha and powerpc), but configure will success
cause it
>  > finds gcc later.
>Can you have examples of problems this causes?  I've had no problems with
>this on the alpha (either osf or linux).

Ok, eg. for powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1:
- configure calls config.guess before determing the cc to use
- config.guess defaults to ${CC-cc} for the compiler
- if CC is not set and cc is not in the path (gcc only system, egcs also
does not install any symlink from gcc to cc), all compile attempts in
config.guess will fail and some default values will be used.

Examples:
- powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu <-> powerpc-unknown-linux-gnulibc1
- alphaev5 <-> alphaev56 (if I remember correctly)
- and every other check in config.guess that relies on ${CC-cc}

Simple solution:
check for gcc/cc/${CC} in configure before calling config.guess and bail
out if nothing valid is found.

This reminds me of a post-release wish:
- support for install_root= (like glibc) during make install to ease
package building

>  > powerpc-*-linux-gnu*:
>  > You will need binutils-2.8.1.0.17 available from
>  > < ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/hjl > for a working egcs. It is strongly
>  > recommended to recompile binutils with egcs if you initially built it
with
>  > gcc-2.7.2.*.
>Is this really correct?? -- I know Meissner's been working with a ppc/linux
>box, but I don't know if he's using the new binutils.  Exactly what problems
>does this binutils fix?

Hmm, 2.8.1.0.15 is definitely to old. .17 includes gas-971105 + some
additional patches for Linux + some patches for Linux/PPC from Geoff, which
have not been accepted/included (?) in the gas snapshots in /private/gas.

Bye,
Franz.

* Re: install stuff
       [not found] <199712010928.BAA13558@cygnus.com>
@ 1997-12-01  7:38 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-01  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz Sirl; +Cc: egcs

  In message <199712010928.BAA13558@cygnus.com>you write:
  > configure:
  > Make sure cc (gcc is _not_ enough, eventually make a symlink from gcc to
  > cc) is in your PATH or start configure with "CC=/path/to/your/ccompiler
  > configure", otherwise config.guess will guess wrong for some native
  > platforms (notably alpha and powerpc), but configure will success cause it
  > finds gcc later.
Can you have examples of problems this causes?  I've had no problems with
this on the alpha (either osf or linux).

  > ix86-*-linux-gnu*:
  > typo, it should be binutils-2.8.1.0.15
Thanks.  Fixed.

@ 1997-12-01  1:28 ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 1997-12-01  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

At 22:53 30.11.97 , Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>Just an FYI -- if you want to look at any of the prototype install
>docs see
>
> http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/install
>

>It's still changing, but any comments, suggestions, or additions
>(especially to the platform specific notes) would be greatly
>appreciated.

configure:
Make sure cc (gcc is _not_ enough, eventually make a symlink from gcc to
cc) is in your PATH or start configure with "CC=/path/to/your/ccompiler
configure", otherwise config.guess will guess wrong for some native
platforms (notably alpha and powerpc), but configure will success cause it
finds gcc later.

ix86-*-linux-gnu*:
typo, it should be binutils-2.8.1.0.15

powerpc-*-linux-gnu*:
You will need binutils-2.8.1.0.17 available from
< ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/hjl > for a working egcs. It is strongly
recommended to recompile binutils with egcs if you initially built it with
gcc-2.7.2.*.

Bye,
Franz.

* install stuff