From: "Philippe De Muyter" <phdm@macqel.be>
To: law@cygnus.com
Cc: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: egcs/c-torture.exp/.cexp and 14 char limit
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:13:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>   In message < 199712062212.XAA00817@mail.macqel.be >you write:
>   > I prefer my patch than imposing a 13-char limit to testcase names, but
>   > another possible fix would be to choose another suffix than 'cexp' for the
>   > testcase-specific expect files, a suffix that would not begin with the
>   > letter 'c'.
> We'd prefer not to have names > 14chars.

There is only one file with name > 14 chars in gcc.c-torture :

	gcc/testsuite/gcc.c-torture/code_quality/code_quality.exp

but that is not what we are talking about.

The problem is that lib/c-torture.exp builds artificially filenames by
removing .c at the end of the name of the c-torture testcases (e.g.
combine-hang.c that has 14 chars), then adds .cexp (giving combine-hang.cexp
that has 17 chars, but that is identical to combine-hang.c in the 14 first
chars), and then tests if such a file exists.  It then gets a wrong
positive answer and subsequently tries to execute combine-hang.c as
an Expect source file.

We could change lib/c-torture.exp to, given a xxx.c file, check for
existence of a xxx.<suffix> file where <suffix> is any single character
that is not 'c'.  This would imply renaming all the existant .cexp files
into .<suffix> files.  If <suffix> has to be 'cexp', then we must limit
filenames of the testcases to 11 characters to allow for the replacement
of 'c' by 'cexp'.

My proposed patch has the advantage not to need renaming of any file,
but I am willing to submit another patch with the change of <suffix>
solution with the <suffix> of your choice.

Regards

Philippe