* Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 13:35 Louis Marascio
From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Is there an environment variable that can be set that will pass command line
options to the compiler?  I know that that HP compiler aCC has a CXXOPTS that
you can set which will pass options to the compiler and place them at the
begining or end of the command line.  The passing is transparent and does not
show up on the actual command line as well, which is why I want to do this.  I
have an extremely large set of include directories which I would like to be
able to consolidate in an environment variable to reduce the clutter on my
screen when compiling.  Thanks for any help ...

- - - - -
Louis R. Marascio                  A.K.A Louis Armistead and Jim McCraken
Email: lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu   "We have plenty of psychological abuse
ICQ: 4270107                        in stock" -- Ripped from jsm

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 15:26 ` Weiwen Liu
From: Weiwen Liu @ 1997-12-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Louis Marascio wrote:

> Is there an environment variable that can be set that will pass command line
> options to the compiler?  I know that that HP compiler aCC has a CXXOPTS that
> you can set which will pass options to the compiler and place them at the
> begining or end of the command line.  The passing is transparent and does not
> show up on the actual command line as well, which is why I want to do this.  I
> have an extremely large set of include directories which I would like to be
> able to consolidate in an environment variable to reduce the clutter on my
> screen when compiling.  Thanks for any help ...
>
> - - - - -
> Louis R. Marascio                  A.K.A Louis Armistead and Jim McCraken
> Email: lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu   "We have plenty of psychological abuse
> ICQ: 4270107                        in stock" -- Ripped from jsm

You might have a look at CPATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
environment variables in the info file.

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 15:56   ` Louis Marascio
From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>You might have a look at CPATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
>environment variables in the info file.

I tried using the CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH and it doesn't seem to have any effect.

- - - - -

@ 1997-12-07 16:45 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-07 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

  In message < XFMail.971207163646.lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu >you write:
  > Is there an environment variable that can be set that will pass command line
  > options to the compiler?  I know that that HP compiler aCC has a CXXOPTS that
  > you can set which will pass options to the compiler and place them at the
  > begining or end of the command line.  The passing is transparent and does not
  > show up on the actual command line as well, which is why I want to do this.  I
  > have an extremely large set of include directories which I would like to be
  > able to consolidate in an environment variable to reduce the clutter on my
  > screen when compiling.  Thanks for any help ...
Nope, no such feature exists in egcs.  Sorry.
jeff

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 17:32   ` Louis Marascio
From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>Nope, no such feature exists in egcs.  Sorry.

Is there any chance of getting this implemented in future versions?

- - - - -

@ 1997-12-07 17:45     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-07 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

  In message < XFMail.971207203315.lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu >you write:
  > >Nope, no such feature exists in egcs.  Sorry.
  >
  > Is there any chance of getting this implemented in future versions?
There's certainly a chance :-)

Cygnus has had such a feature in our compilers for a while to satisfy
some customer needs.

That change was submitted to gcc2 and rejected.  There's some interesting
issues that need to be resolved before we could integrate our patch.

THe most important issue would be bug reports.

We already have a tough time getting all the information we need to
reproduce & fix problems.  Adding an environment variable of this
nature just makes things harder since someone could put options in
the environment variable, then forgot to tell us about them when
they report a bug.

I believe this was the primary objection to including such an option
in gcc2.

jeff

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 17:50       ` Louis Marascio
From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>There's certainly a chance :-)
>
>Cygnus has had such a feature in our compilers for a while to satisfy
>some customer needs.
>
>That change was submitted to gcc2 and rejected.  There's some interesting
>issues that need to be resolved before we could integrate our patch.
>
>THe most important issue would be bug reports.
>
>We already have a tough time getting all the information we need to
>reproduce & fix problems.  Adding an environment variable of this
>nature just makes things harder since someone could put options in
>the environment variable, then forgot to tell us about them when
>they report a bug.
>
>I believe this was the primary objection to including such an option
>in gcc2.

Great, thanks for the information.. Hopefully it'll pop up sometime in the near
future :)

- - - - -

@ 1997-12-07 19:12       ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1997-12-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Louis Marascio, egcs

> We already have a tough time getting all the information we need to
> reproduce & fix problems.  Adding an environment variable of this
> nature just makes things harder since someone could put options in
> the environment variable, then forgot to tell us about them when
> they report a bug.

SCO has had a similar feature in their tools for a long time.  You can
stuff things in environmental flags or in /etc/default/cc.

I thoroughly hate this feature for the very reason Jeff describes.
I have people constantly asking me "why does the compiler do XXX"
and I spend a while beating on it and say, "it doesn't".   They
send a test case and say, "does too".  I test their test case and
say, "does not".   This is when they find out the system admin or
some other coworker added '-Obazillion -UseSomeEsotericThing' to
one of the above places and that's causing the wierdness.

Yes, I sometimes wish my compile lines would fit on a single 80 column
screen to increase the density of my 'make' output.  But after a couple
rounds of playing the above game, I get over it.

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 19:22         ` Louis Marascio
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>SCO has had a similar feature in their tools for a long time.  You can
>stuff things in environmental flags or in /etc/default/cc.
>
>I thoroughly hate this feature for the very reason Jeff describes.
>I have people constantly asking me "why does the compiler do XXX"
>and I spend a while beating on it and say, "it doesn't".   They
>send a test case and say, "does too".  I test their test case and
>say, "does not".   This is when they find out the system admin or
>some other coworker added '-Obazillion -UseSomeEsotericThing' to
>one of the above places and that's causing the wierdness.
>
>Yes, I sometimes wish my compile lines would fit on a single 80 column
>screen to increase the density of my 'make' output.  But after a couple
>rounds of playing the above game, I get over it.

Chuckle, sounds like a pain.  There are, however, some instances when it could
be helpful :) .. atleast from my perspective.  Compile options might be making
my needs to generalized.  What I really want is some way to specify a path or
set of paths that would have the same effect as having a bazillion -Isomedir in
my compile line.  I tried each of these to no avail: CPATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH, and
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH.  Anything else I could possibly try? :)

- - - - -

@ 1997-12-07 20:11           ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-07 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

  In message < XFMail.971207222330.lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu >you write:
  > my compile line.  I tried each of these to no avail: CPATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH,
  >  and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH.  Anything else I could possibly try? :)
C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH and CPATH are the right things
to work with.  We need to find out why they aren't working for you.

jeff

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 20:17             ` Louis Marascio
From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH and CPATH are the right things
>to work with.  We need to find out why they aren't working for you.

My basic setup is this. I have a generic env.mk file that is included by other
makefiles throughout my src tree.  The env.mk has within it a colon seperated
list of directories somewhat like this:
INCLUDEMANIFEST = \
                $(TOPDIR)/src/base:\
                $(TOPDIR)/src/database/gdbm:\
                $(TOPDIR)/src/database/interface:\
                $(TOPDIR)/src/game/common/behavior:\

It goes on for quite a while.  After this I do:
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH     = $(INCLUDEMANIFEST)
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

Am I doing something wrong here?  TOPDIR is defined and there are no spelling
errors within the manifest.  Any ideas as to what might be causing it to
overlook the directories?

Thanks for all the help ...

- - - - -

@ 1997-12-07 20:24               ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-07 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

  In message < XFMail.971207231853.lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu >you write:
  > It goes on for quite a while.  After this I do:
  > CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH     = $(INCLUDEMANIFEST)
  > export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
  >
  > Am I doing something wrong here?  TOPDIR is defined and there are no spelli  > ng
  > errors within the manifest.  Any ideas as to what might be causing it to
  > overlook the directories?
Sounds reasonable.  Why don't you try to put one into your environment
from the shell, then trying to compile a simple program which includes
something from that dir.  Start simple to make sure the basic feature
works, then look at the bigger problem.

jeff

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 20:32             ` Louis Marascio
From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>You should be able to write a small wrapper script for egcs that would
>do what you want:
>
>#! /bin/sh
>
>egcs $EGCS_BEFORE "$@" $EGCS_AFTER
>
>or some such.  This might not do quite what you want, but something
>along these lines might.

Hmm, good idea. I'll give this a try, eventhough I wouldn't really want this to
be some sort of dependancy in my final product. :)

- - - - -

From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>Sounds reasonable.  Why don't you try to put one into your environment
>from the shell, then trying to compile a simple program which includes
>something from that dir.  Start simple to make sure the basic feature
>works, then look at the bigger problem.

Nod, I did this and it still failed. Here are the results:

----
datahermit:~/src/test$ pwd
/home/tpm/src/test
datahermit:~/src/test$ ls -l
total 2
drwxr-xr-x   2 tpm      users        1024 Dec  7 23:28 inctest
-rw-r--r--   1 tpm      users          54 Dec  7 23:29 test.c
datahermit:~/src/test$ ls inctest/
test.h
datahermit:~/src/test$ export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/tpm/src/test/inctest
datahermit:~/src/test$ g++ test.c
test.c:1: inctest.h: No such file or directory
datahermit:~/src/test$ cat test.c
#include "inctest.h"

int main()
{
        cout << "Test";
}
datahermit:~/src/test$

- - - - -

@ 1997-12-07 20:32           ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 1997-12-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

--
Mark Mitchell		mmitchell@usa.net
Stanford University	http://www.stanford.edu

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 21:02           ` Weiwen Liu
From: Weiwen Liu @ 1997-12-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Louis Marascio wrote:

> Chuckle, sounds like a pain.  There are, however, some instances when it could
> be helpful :) .. atleast from my perspective.  Compile options might be making
> my needs to generalized.  What I really want is some way to specify a path or
> set of paths that would have the same effect as having a bazillion -Isomedir in
> my compile line.  I tried each of these to no avail: CPATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH, and
> CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH.  Anything else I could possibly try? :)
>
> - - - - -
> Louis R. Marascio                  A.K.A Louis Armistead and Jim McCraken
> Email: lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu   "We have plenty of psychological abuse
> ICQ: 4270107                        in stock" -- Ripped from jsm

On an alpha-dec-osf4.0, CPATH works.

I define CPATH as (in bash)
CPATH=${HOME}/local/include:${HOME}/repl/lib

A test program
#include "hbook.h"
#include <curses.h>

main()
{}

I have hbook.h in ${HOME}/repl/lib, and curses.h in ${HOME}/local/include.
egcs was installed in ${HOME}/local/packages/egcs-1.0

Weiwen

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-07 21:07             ` Louis Marascio
From: Louis Marascio @ 1997-12-07 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

>On an alpha-dec-osf4.0, CPATH works.
>
>I define CPATH as (in bash)
>CPATH=${HOME}/local/include:${HOME}/repl/lib

Hmmm, it appears you are right. I was including the wrong file in my test
program.. *blush*.  Gonna go back and triple check.

- - - - -

@ 1997-12-07 21:22                   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-07 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

  In message < XFMail.971207233249.lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu >you write:
  > >Sounds reasonable.  Why don't you try to put one into your environment
  > >from the shell, then trying to compile a simple program which includes
  > >something from that dir.  Start simple to make sure the basic feature
  > >works, then look at the bigger problem.
Quite odd since C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH seem to work
just fine for me.

Add "-v" to the compile line in your example and see what cpp prints
as its include path.

jeff

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-08 14:35                   ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1997-12-08 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Marascio; +Cc: egcs

On Sun, Dec 07, 1997 at 11:31:07PM -0000, Louis Marascio wrote:
> datahermit:~/src/test$ ls -l
> total 2
> drwxr-xr-x   2 tpm      users        1024 Dec  7 23:28 inctest
> -rw-r--r--   1 tpm      users          54 Dec  7 23:29 test.c
> datahermit:~/src/test$ ls inctest/
> test.h
> datahermit:~/src/test$ export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/tpm/src/test/inctest
> datahermit:~/src/test$ g++ test.c
> test.c:1: inctest.h: No such file or directory

The file you have is "test.h" not "inctest.h".

r~

* Re: Environment variable to pass in options?
@ 1997-12-08  6:48 meissner
From: meissner @ 1997-12-08  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, robertl; +Cc: egcs, lmarasci

| > We already have a tough time getting all the information we need to
| > reproduce & fix problems.  Adding an environment variable of this
| > nature just makes things harder since someone could put options in
| > the environment variable, then forgot to tell us about them when
| > they report a bug.
|
| SCO has had a similar feature in their tools for a long time.  You can
| stuff things in environmental flags or in /etc/default/cc.
|
| I thoroughly hate this feature for the very reason Jeff describes.
| I have people constantly asking me "why does the compiler do XXX"
| and I spend a while beating on it and say, "it doesn't".   They
| send a test case and say, "does too".  I test their test case and
| say, "does not".   This is when they find out the system admin or
| some other coworker added '-Obazillion -UseSomeEsotericThing' to
| one of the above places and that's causing the wierdness.

Given that the .s file now contains a list of switches given, I really don't
see any difference between having a shell script called gcc that invokes the
driver with additional options and an environment variable.

I do think we should add an option:

	-foptions=<file>

that pulls options in from <file>.  The reason for this is there are systems
with limited space for passing arguments.  This comes up in the cygwin
discussions every so often.  It would be nice if ar and ld had similar options
(I've certainly been bitting on other systems in the past with small limits).