From: Trent Jarvi <chaos@jarvi.ezlink.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: axp & (dejagnu | haifa) & redhat-5.0
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 00:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

OK.

I guess I've got two groups questions after following the list for a while.
I see mention that egcs is busted on redhat-5.0, yet I managed to install
it as the native compiler and as multiple cross compilers.  Maybe it is
broke and I just dont realize it yet.

1.  dejagnu.

  After installing a few version I thought it would be nice to start
  letting egcs run though the hoops at night.  I downloaded the latest
  dejagnu package off cygnus, did the (cd dejagnu;./configure;make;
  make install) and then jumped back into my egcs build dir and tried the
  make -k check.

  My trusty hd made huge noises for a while the screen rolled with
  info worthy of the daily news and then everything stopped with

      WARNING: Couldn't find the global config file.
      ERROR: Couldn't find library file utils.exp.

  So.. obviously I'm making a stupid mistake.  I see the file in the
  dejagnu tree.  Whats my error?

2.  haifa.

  From what little I've managed to read this could be fairly interesting.
  I managed to build egcs with --enable-haifa.  I've played around some.
  I'm left wondering whats going on.

    a.  does a compiler with --enable-haifa use the new schdualing by default?
    b.  what do these flags do.  well never mind that.  whats a logical
        use of them.

#ifdef HAIFA
  {"sched-interblock",&flag_schedule_interblock, 1},
  {"sched-spec",&flag_schedule_speculative, 1},
  {"sched-spec-load",&flag_schedule_speculative_load, 1},
  {"sched-spec-load-dangerous",&flag_schedule_speculative_load_dangerous, 1},
  {"sched-reverse-S",&flag_schedule_reverse_before_reload, 1},
  {"sched-reverse-R",&flag_schedule_reverse_after_reload, 1},
  {"branch-count-reg",&flag_branch_on_count_reg, 1},
#endif  /* HAIFA */

    c.  rth will probably beat me on the head with another clue book.. but
        if noticed on the alpha-unknown-linux-gnu the following flags crash
        the haifa egcs when building makeinfo in the egcs package.

          -fsched-spec-load
          -fdelayed-branch

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Trent