* axp & (dejagnu | haifa) & redhat-5.0
@ 1997-12-09  0:46 Trent Jarvi
From: Trent Jarvi @ 1997-12-09  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

OK.

I guess I've got two groups questions after following the list for a while.
I see mention that egcs is busted on redhat-5.0, yet I managed to install
it as the native compiler and as multiple cross compilers.  Maybe it is
broke and I just dont realize it yet.

1.  dejagnu.

  After installing a few version I thought it would be nice to start
  letting egcs run though the hoops at night.  I downloaded the latest
  dejagnu package off cygnus, did the (cd dejagnu;./configure;make;
  make install) and then jumped back into my egcs build dir and tried the
  make -k check.

  My trusty hd made huge noises for a while the screen rolled with
  info worthy of the daily news and then everything stopped with

      WARNING: Couldn't find the global config file.
      ERROR: Couldn't find library file utils.exp.

  So.. obviously I'm making a stupid mistake.  I see the file in the
  dejagnu tree.  Whats my error?

2.  haifa.

  From what little I've managed to read this could be fairly interesting.
  I managed to build egcs with --enable-haifa.  I've played around some.
  I'm left wondering whats going on.

    a.  does a compiler with --enable-haifa use the new schdualing by default?
    b.  what do these flags do.  well never mind that.  whats a logical
        use of them.

#ifdef HAIFA
  {"sched-interblock",&flag_schedule_interblock, 1},
  {"sched-spec",&flag_schedule_speculative, 1},
  {"sched-spec-load",&flag_schedule_speculative_load, 1},
  {"sched-spec-load-dangerous",&flag_schedule_speculative_load_dangerous, 1},
  {"sched-reverse-S",&flag_schedule_reverse_before_reload, 1},
  {"sched-reverse-R",&flag_schedule_reverse_after_reload, 1},
  {"branch-count-reg",&flag_branch_on_count_reg, 1},
#endif  /* HAIFA */

    c.  rth will probably beat me on the head with another clue book.. but
        if noticed on the alpha-unknown-linux-gnu the following flags crash
        the haifa egcs when building makeinfo in the egcs package.

          -fsched-spec-load
          -fdelayed-branch

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Trent

* Re: axp & (dejagnu | haifa) & redhat-5.0
@ 1997-12-11 10:01 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-11 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trent Jarvi; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199712090934.CAA05418@jarvi.ezlink.com >you write:
  > OK.
  >
  > I guess I've got two groups questions after following the list for a while.
  > I see mention that egcs is busted on redhat-5.0, yet I managed to install
  > it as the native compiler and as multiple cross compilers.  Maybe it is
  > broke and I just dont realize it yet.
We've got conflicting reports on RH5.0.

  >   After installing a few version I thought it would be nice to start
  >   letting egcs run though the hoops at night.  I downloaded the latest
  >   dejagnu package off cygnus, did the (cd dejagnu;./configure;make;
  >   make install) and then jumped back into my egcs build dir and tried the
  >   make -k check.
  >
  >   My trusty hd made huge noises for a while the screen rolled with
  >   info worthy of the daily news and then everything stopped with
  >
  >       WARNING: Couldn't find the global config file.
  >       ERROR: Couldn't find library file utils.exp.
  >
  >   So.. obviously I'm making a stupid mistake.  I see the file in the
  >   dejagnu tree.  Whats my error?
Sounds like you already had an old one installed on your system and it's
being found before your new done.  This is in the faq.

  >   From what little I've managed to read this could be fairly interesting.
  >   I managed to build egcs with --enable-haifa.  I've played around some.
  >   I'm left wondering whats going on.
  >
  >     a.  does a compiler with --enable-haifa use the new schdualing by
  >     default?
Yes.

  >     b.  what do these flags do.  well never mind that.  whats a logical
  >         use of them.
You really shouldn't need those flags; some might even go away as we clean
up the new scheduler.

jeff