* Re: egcs & gcc 2.8 ??
@ 1997-12-11 10:52 Yotam Medini
From: Yotam Medini @ 1997-12-11 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, egcs; +Cc: brian_barrick

>     >  http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/egcs-1.0.html:
>     >
>     >    egcs-1.0 also contains many improvements and features not found in
>     >    gcc-2.7 and even the soon to be released gcc-2.8 compilers.
>     >
>     > Could someone please educate me about the relations between
>     > egcs and gcc 2.8?
>   It's pretty simple.
>
>   egcs-1.0 is based on an early August snapshot of the gcc-2.8 development
>   sources with many of our own enhancements & bugfixes.
>
>   The current snapshots are based on the soon to be release gcc-2.8 (again
>   with our enhancements and bugfixes).
>
>   jeff

Many of egcs users, I believe, assume that a code
compiled with egcs's gcc/g++ could be compiled eventually
Therefore, we would all like to help with early feedback on further
gcc development.

So the questions are really:

  * How gcc's official release is determined.
  * What are the egcs features that will not make it
    into the next gcc release.
  * What is the expected time length for a bug-fix in some egcs snap-shot
    to propogate to the official gcc release.

Much thanks -- yotam