From: gson@araneus.fi (Andreas Gustafsson)
To: law@cygnus.com
Cc: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Make build failure on NetBSD/i386 1.2
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

law@cygnus.com said:
>   > I just tried building egcs-1.0 on NetBSD/i386 1.2
>   > (i386-unknown-netbsd-1.2) using the system's stock cc, which is
>   > actually gcc 2.7.2.
> [ ... ]
>   >    /var/tmp/cc028591.s: Assembler messages:
>   >    /var/tmp/cc028591.s:153: Error: Unknown expression: symbols LECIE1 and L
>   > SCIE1 are in different frags.
>   >    *** Error code 1
> Hmmm, your assembler might need to be updated.  That's the only thing that comes
> immediately to mind.

Hmm, updated to what?  The NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA assembler turned out to have
the same problem as the 1.2 one (both are based on gas-1.92.3).

I tried installing gas from binutils-2.8.1, but that didn't work
either because it does not recognize the "-k" option which egcs passes
to the assembler when building shared libraries with -fpic on NetBSD
systems.

In case it helps, here's the egcs-generated assembler code that
triggers the problem.  Apparently the assembler is confused by the
".align 2" directive occurring between two labels whose difference is
computed (the error disappears if you remove the ".align 2").

___FRAME_BEGIN__:
        .long LLCIE1

LSCIE1:
        .long 0