* Mklinux and egcs 1.0.1
@ 1998-01-12 20:31 Thomas Hoyt
From: Thomas Hoyt @ 1998-01-12 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I have been trying to build and install egcs 1.0.1 on my 8100 (2r1.6)
with shared library
support.  Currently I am having problems with the shared library which
the egcs build
process creates for libstdc++.  Any program which attempts to link to it
at runtime
heads south in a big way.  Not hanging, just churning away without
actually getting
started.  It will continue to do this until it gobbles up all the memory
in the system,
crashing it.  Eventually, I get a message from the default pager that
suggests I enable
swapping because it can't get any more free pages.

The build process seems to go OK for egcs.  I installed the new version
of binutils
as instructed by the installation instructions.  (binutils 2.8.1.0.18) I
installed them
into /usr/local/binutils2.8 and modified my path to include
/usr/local/binutils2.8/bin before
the system directories.

The egcs testsuite will not complete because of this same problem.  (The
hounddog program
attempts to run with libstdc++.)

Should I abandon building egcs with shared lib support?   Has anyone
else gotten this installed properly?  I have tried to build egcs w/o
shared support, but the same thing happens when I start up a program
which links with the stdc++.

Thanks much for all the help

--Thomas Hoyt

--
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger."

* Re: Mklinux and egcs 1.0.1
@ 1998-01-15 16:06 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-01-15 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hoyt; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199801122107.AA07273@interlock.reston.ans.net >you write:
  > I have been trying to build and install egcs 1.0.1 on my 8100 (2r1.6)
  > with shared library support.
I'm really not sure what mklinux/8100 is.  Not that it's likely to be all
that important.

What kind of object format are you using?

Does your program ever get to main?  Or maybe it's dieing when setting
up the EH ables (try putting breakpoints in __register_frame and
__register_frame_info to see what's going on.

  > It will continue to do this until it gobbles up all the memory
  > in the system, crashing it.
I'd guess either infinite recursion eating the stack, or runaway mallocs.

jeff

* Re: Mklinux and egcs 1.0.1
@ 1998-01-19 10:12   ` Daniel Eisenbud
From: Daniel Eisenbud @ 1998-01-19 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 07:30:28PM -0700, Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> wrote:

>   In message < 199801122107.AA07273@interlock.reston.ans.net >you write:
>   > I have been trying to build and install egcs 1.0.1 on my 8100 (2r1.6)
>   > with shared library support.
> I'm really not sure what mklinux/8100 is.  Not that it's likely to be all
> that important.

It's the Apple/OSF port of linux for the mach microkernel running on
powermacs.  The 8100 is a first generation powermac.  It's based on
linux 2.0.x, and is binary compatible with all the other powerpc linux
variants.

-Daniel Eisenbud
--
Daniel Eisenbud