* array bounds check option
@ 1998-01-20  4:00 Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 1998-01-20  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs, rms, kenner

I would like to add a language-dependent option to enable/disable array
bounds checking.  This would not necessarily be supported by all
languages (bounds checking for C/C++ is of course difficult), and
the default may also differ for different languages (it should be
on by default for Java and Chill;  off for C/C++ if it gets implemented;
unknown for Fortran and Ada).

Even though it is somewhat language-dependent, it seems reasonable
that at least the name of the option be standardized.  So I propose
-f[no-]bounds-check.   I am open to replacing "bounds" by "range"
and/or swapping the word order to -fcheck-bounds.  However, it would
be nice to be consistent:  Currently we have -fstack-check, which
suggests that "-check" should come last, or we should check it to
-fcheck-stack.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner