* collect2 always built?
@ 1998-02-02 10:32 Todd Vierling
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Todd Vierling @ 1998-02-02 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Is this an egcs thing or a gcc 2.8 thing?... Under egcs, --with-gnu-ld in
the configuration causes collect2 ($(libsubdir)/ld) to be built and
installed at all times as opposed to gcc 2.7.x', where the GNU ld is assumed
to handle constructors and destructors of static items properly.  Which is
correct?  I'm currently just deleting the installed collect2 binary and all
works fine.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price

* Re: collect2 always built?
@ 1998-02-03 11:59 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-02-03 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jason, jbuck; +Cc: egcs

> From: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>
> To: jason@cygnus.com (Jason Merrill)
> Date: Tue, 3 Feb 98 9:53:58 PST

> If someone has ELF and the latest GNU ld, is there ever a situation where
> they would want to use -frepo?

I think so.  Speed.  I predict that there are cases where using -frepo
will yield smaller .o files, and will take less time to generate them
and less time to link them.

Though I admit I have never benchmarked it.  Also, this is probably
only an issue for large projects (it takes an hour to link, type
ones).

* Re: collect2 always built?
@ 1998-02-03 14:34 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-02-03 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbuck; +Cc: egcs

> From: Joe Buck <jbuck@Synopsys.COM>
> To: mrs@wrs.com (Mike Stump)
> Date: Tue, 3 Feb 98 12:10:50 PST
> Cc: jason@cygnus.com, jbuck@Synopsys.COM, egcs@cygnus.com

> > > If someone has ELF and the latest GNU ld, is there ever a situation where
> > > they would want to use -frepo?
> >
> > I think so.  Speed.  I predict that there are cases where using -frepo
> > will yield smaller .o files, and will take less time to generate them
> > and less time to link them.

> I would be amazed.  My experience with -frepo is that it is dog-slow, and
> with 2.7.2 I saw as many as ten link-recompile passes on relatively small
> programs that used STL.

Any what is the speed of the second recompile?  How does this compare
to the non-repo compile?  I know the first one will be slow with repo.

If you don't have any numbers, then maybe someone with a larger C++ pt
heavy code base would be willing to try...

* Re: collect2 always built?
@ 1998-02-03 18:37 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-02-03 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs, khan

> To: egcs@cygnus.com
> Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 13:53:35 -0600
> From: Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu>

> Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com> writes:

> I ran into a situation where this was certainly useful: In a
> particular project that uses lots of templates, the size of the
> build dir tree went up to about 220M, whereas using -frepo and
> library closure, it's around 130M. That's a big difference; however,
> given a choice between the two, I'd take the smart linker approach
> any day.

Very useful data point, thanks.  I was wondering if you had build
times for a second build for repo and non-repo.  I might guess 70%
faster, but would be nice to get a confirmation of this guess for a
real project.