From: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>
To: mrs@wrs.com (Mike Stump)
Cc: jason@cygnus.com, jbuck@synopsys.com, egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: collect2 always built?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 12:11:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> > If someone has ELF and the latest GNU ld, is there ever a situation where
> > they would want to use -frepo?
>
> I think so.  Speed.  I predict that there are cases where using -frepo
> will yield smaller .o files, and will take less time to generate them
> and less time to link them.

I would be amazed.  My experience with -frepo is that it is dog-slow, and
with 2.7.2 I saw as many as ten link-recompile passes on relatively small
programs that used STL.  This should be better (fewer passes) with egcs
because templates are inlined more readily, but where templates call other
templates the work can be considerable.

> Though I admit I have never benchmarked it.

That is quite apparent.

> Also, this is probably
> only an issue for large projects (it takes an hour to link, type
> ones).

There are other problems with -frepo for large projects, having to do with
library reuse.