* build report
@ 1998-02-05 13:49 Joe Harrington
From: Joe Harrington @ 1998-02-05 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: jh

I successfully built egcs-1.0.1 under i686-pc-linux-gnu.  Seems to
install fine.  Minor build problems:

make dvi
# 16 returns required, three times
texi2dvi -I../../gcc/f ../../gcc/f/g77.texi -o f/g77.dvi
texi2dvi: Unknown or ambiguous option `-I../../gcc/f'.
texi2dvi: Try `--help' for more information.
make[1]: *** [f/g77.dvi] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/egcs-1.0.1/objdir/gcc'

In general, your build requires a lot of late-model software.  It
would be nice to see the packages needed listed up front, boldly.  I
built the whole compiler and then discovered I needed a new binutils.

Also, a summary of new features compared to the current gcc release
would be great.  I tried putting -m686 in my BOOT_CFLAGS but it didn't
like it.  Ok, so how do you get the pentium and PPro scheduler?  That
kind of thing.

Also also, there's this tantalyzing hint about Haifa.  Does it produce
*worse* code on any platform?  I.e., is it unsafe to use it by
default?  Is it related to improved scheduler support for 586 and 686?
There are about 5 lines in the various docs about it, and they just
talk about how to turn it on or not.  Is there a way to select it a
gcc runtime?

Thanks for doing egcs?  The pace of improvement has been maddeningly
slow.

--jh--