* egcs installation questions
@ 1998-02-19 10:47 Mike Falcetta
From: Mike Falcetta @ 1998-02-19 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

hello,

I have been trying to install egcs 1.01 and have several questions that do not
seem to be addressed anywhere that I have seen.

First, I downloaded from CVS, and that went fine.  The question is:  Most of the
files I got are headed "egcs 1.0" NOT egcs 1.01.  IS this just a case of the
file heading not being updated????

Second, I have a pentium II system and the configure shell recognizes my
computer as a ibm686.  IS that correct?

I used the default (i.e. no prefixes)  So my egcs stuff now resides in
/usr/local/bin and the other default directory.  Now, as long as I set my
makefile to use the gcc and g77 in these directories I'm all set??  It seems
that there are many other files in these directories will they automatically get
used correctly?

Finally,  I used the most recent binutils (.20) and I ran the test suite and
found that it had unexpected failures in the g77 tests.  Is there any way to
know whether this is ok?  I see on the egcs newsgroups that there seems to be
various results from these tests?  It would be great to have some collection of
various accepted responses, right now I don't know whether to be concerned or
not.

Other than these uncertaintities I have successfully completed the installation.
If you can put my worries to rest, I think I can send the configure file you
request and call it a done deal.,

Thanks

Mike

+ Mike Falcetta           phone: 765-641-4371                +
+ Anderson University     email: falcetta@kirk.anderson.edu  +
+ Anderson, IN  46012                                        +

* Re: egcs installation questions
@ 1998-02-20  8:47 ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1998-02-20  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Falcetta, egcs

> I have been trying to install egcs 1.01 and have several questions
> that do not seem to be addressed anywhere that I have seen.

Actually, almost all of them have been addressed on the egcs list, just
not always in an obvious place or format or with all the information that
you really want. :-)

> First, I downloaded from CVS, and that went fine.  The question is:
> Most of the files I got are headed "egcs 1.0" NOT egcs 1.01.  IS this
> just a case of the file heading not being updated????

By default, you'll get the latest development code via CVS.   For a way
to get 1.0.2, see
	http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Feb/0342.html

Between the output of a 'cvs log' and that message, you should be able
to figure out how to get 1.0.1 or, perhaps better, the pending 1.0.2
branch.

> Second, I have a pentium II system and the configure shell recognizes
> my computer as a ibm686.  IS that correct?

Since we don't know what OS you're running, it's hard to say. In
general, P6 architecture (Pentium Pro, Pentium II) will best be
considered by gcc to be '686' by my understanding.

Always be specific as to what OS you're running.  The AIX guys on this
list default to AIX.  The Solaris guys default to Solaris, and so on.
There are lots of different x86 camps represented here.

> I used the default (i.e. no prefixes) So my egcs stuff now resides in
> /usr/local/bin and the other default directory.  Now, as long as I set
> my makefile to use the gcc and g77 in these directories I'm all set??
> It seems that there are many other files in these directories will
> they automatically get used correctly?

Yes...  Until you offer proof to the contrary. :-)

> Finally, I used the most recent binutils (.20) and I ran the test
> suite and found that it had unexpected failures in the g77 tests.
> Is there any way to know whether this is ok?  I see on the egcs

There is at least one known failures in g77 on x86 with standard mode.
There are a few more in PIC mode..  I don't really know how anyone would
know this other than to look at test results for other x86 targets
and to correlate them.  This particular failure has been getting some
attention lately.  The failure is the lone one listed at:
	http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Feb/0761.html

Roam through the egcs archives:
	http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Feb/
Search for "results".  The results from Oliva and Hollstein are always
good starting places.  They seem to have the process automated pretty
well and since they test on multiple targets, doing the cross-reference
thing is always educational.

Enjoy.

--
Robert Lipe       http://www.dgii.com/people/robertl       robertl@dgii.com

* Re: egcs installation questions
@ 1998-02-25  6:39 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-02-25  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Falcetta; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199802191801.NAA07978@kirk.anderson.edu >you write:
  > First, I downloaded from CVS, and that went fine.  The question
  > is:  Most of the files I got are headed "egcs 1.0" NOT egcs 1.01.
  >  IS this just a case of the file heading not being updated????
What exactly do you mean by 'headed'?

Note, most files didn't change between egcs-1.0 and egcs-1.0.1.

  > Second, I have a pentium II system and the configure shell recognizes my
  > computer as a ibm686.  IS that correct?
That's close enough for now :-)

  > I used the default (i.e. no prefixes)  So my egcs stuff now resides in
  > /usr/local/bin and the other default directory.

  >  Now, as long as I set my
  > makefile to use the gcc and g77 in these directories I'm all set?
Correct.

  > It seems that there are many other files in these directories
  > will they automatically get used correctly?
I'm not sure what you're asking...

  > found that it had unexpected failures in the g77 tests.
Exactly what tests failed?

jeff