* Are any other GCC/EGCS people making public comments on draft C9X?
@ 1998-02-23 15:34 Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 1998-02-23 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc2, egcs

The period for public review of the draft C9X standard is drawing to a
close; US comments are due by March 3.  Is anyone from the GCC
community making comments on that standard?

I've started to read the 700 or so pages of draft and rationale, and
am finding some problems from GCC's point of view.  I'm planning to
submit a public review comment about the problems.  If there's
interest, I'll send a copy of these comments to this mailing list.

I'd like to avoid duplication of effort here, though.  If someone else
is already doing this, could you please send me email?

If there's enough interest, it might be useful to come up with a
consensus GCC/EGCS position on the draft; that might help convince the
standardizers that the problems should be fixed, which would simplify
GCC development in the long run.

For your reference, here's the announcement of the public review; it
tells you how to get copies of the C9X draft.

------

From: Larry Jones <larry.jones@sdrc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.std.c,comp.lang.c.moderated,comp.lang.c
Subject: Formal announcement of C9x CD1 availability and U.S. public comment period
Date: 22 Dec 1997 17:08:38 GMT

You may freely redistribute this announcement PROVIDED you do so in its
entirety.

-----

This document contains two parts; please read both before downloading
any
documents:

1. *** Attention members of the C programming community ***

The official Committee Document (CD) for C9x is now available to the
public. This document, known as N2620, is available electronically from

        http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/open/n2620/

It comes in three forms:

        PostScript      n2620.ps
        Adobe Acrobat   n2620.pdf
        Plain Text      n2620.txt       (LF delimited, not CR/LF)

* Note that important typographical information is missing from the
plain
text version. Therefore, you are encouraged to the use the PostScript or
Acrobat versions as much as possible during your review.

These documents are copyrighted by ISO. You are permitted to download
copies for personal use and to help you participate in the standards
process. You are NOT permitted to distribute copies of these documents
or
versions there-of in other formats. You are NOT permitted to host copies
of these documents on other web sites; however, you ARE permitted to
mirror this official source.

The C committee will only process comments based on N2620 as obtained
via
the instructions above. So, before you begin a detailed review of this
specification, make sure you are NOT dealing with any of the various
unauthorized/unofficial copies that have been floating around in recent
weeks.

2. *** Attention to those wishing to provide input to the U.S. Public
Comment process ***

The following press release has been posted:

        http://www.ncits.org/press/1997/pr97157.htm

This announces the commencement of and rules for participating in the
public comment period for the U.S. only. Other countries have their own
procedures for handling draft standard reviews.

Especially note the procedures regarding public comment cover sheets.

Rex Jaeschke, Chair committee J11 (ANSI C)
--
comp.lang.c.moderated - clcm@plethora.net

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-02-23 15:34 UTC | newest]