* Year 2000/2037 compliance
@ 1998-03-10 22:02 Lutz Wohlrab
From: Lutz Wohlrab @ 1998-03-10 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Lutz Wohlrab

Hi,
Does anybody know definitely whether egcs and the libraries that come with
it are year 2000 or even year 2037-compliant?

I just got an survey from HP regarding HP-UX, and they say you have to
patch the libc even on systems up to 10.20. So I started wondering about
egcs..

Please email to lwo@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de as I am not in the egcs
mailing list.

Thanx,
Lutz.

* Re: Year 2000/2037 compliance
@ 1998-03-11  9:39 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-03-11  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lutz.wohlrab; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 9803110559.AA00930@zaphod.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de >you write:
  > Hi,
  > Does anybody know definitely whether egcs and the libraries that come with
  > it are year 2000 or even year 2037-compliant?
I'm not aware of any y2k issues in the compiler.  In general the
compiler doesn't care a whole lot about dates/times.  Of course
if there are underlying issues with the host system, then those
may effect tools like the compiler.

y2037 is a separate issue.  I don't know if anyone's bothered
to think about 2037 issues for gcc yet.

jeff

* Re: Year 2000/2037 compliance
@ 1998-03-11 15:53 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-03-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lutz.wohlrab; +Cc: egcs

> Does anybody know definitely whether egcs and the libraries that come with
> it are year 2000 or even year 2037-compliant?

Jeff, maybe this needs to go into the FAQ, because this question is going
to be asked with increasing levels of panic as the big date gets closer.

Fortunately, egcs and the libraries do virtually no date manipulation.

gcc itself only deals with the year at one point: the expansion of __DATE__
in the preprocessor.  The code is written in a Y2K-correct way, though it
relies on a correct localtime() routine from the C library.  ctime() is
used at several points in writing out profiling or debug information.

As for the libraries, libio and libstdc++ don't deal with time at all; the
only use of time is in the Fortran runtime library, which is just wrappers
around the C library functions.  Again, provided that there are correct
localtime(), gmtime(), and ctime() functions in the C library, egcs would
appear to have no problems until 2037.

> I just got an survey from HP regarding HP-UX, and they say you have to
> patch the libc even on systems up to 10.20. So I started wondering about
> egcs..

egcs does not include a C library, so you need to check with whoever
provides the C library on your system.