* once we have cpplib...
@ 1998-04-08 21:20 Ulrich Drepper
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1998-04-08 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi,

there is lately some motion to get cpplib finally used in gcc.  Once
this is done we have several more options and I think we should plan
on them now.

- with cpplib it'll be possible for the compiler to get the hands on the
  the macro definitions.  This will

  * allow to emit debug info about macros which can be disaplyed in gdb
    when DWARF is used

  * finally allow to use the debugger on code in macros since the line
    number information is available

- since cpplib will (should) provide the compiler the already tokenized
  stream there are no more # lines, esp no #pragma lines.  I.e., there
  must be a hook for pragmas.  This will be esp important with ISO C 9X
  where much of the math code optimization depends on this.

- cpplib must be in sync with the current cccp.  I think Paul did it most
  of the time but is everything included?

- we need a way to allow old gcc drivers call new backends and vice versa.
  Probably this can be achieved by adding some more specs file entries.

Comment on this?  Any points I forgot?

-- Uli