From: "Peter  Garner" <peter.garner@toward.com>
To: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: install
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Dear Folks,

  Thank you very much for egcs.  I have just downloaded and installed
the latest version of egcs.  I followed the instructions on your web
page, and I believe the installation went flawlessly.  Unfortunately
I did not notice your request to mail you the output from running
srcdir/config.guess UNTIL AFTER I had deleted srcdir!  I am very
sorry about that.

  I wonder if I can ask you a question?  I was under the impression
that this was an ANSI/ISO C++ compiler.  Yet I wrote a small test
program that simply allocates more memory with the new [] operator
than the system can possibly allocate.  This program aborts with an
error message stating something to the effect that an attempt to
allocate virtual memory faild.  Of course the ISO/ANSI behaviour is
to throw an exception of type bad_alloc in this case.  Have I done
something wrong or failed to enable something?  Will using the latest
libg++ (libg++-2.8.1-980415.tar.gz) rectify this?

Thank you VERY much

Peter Garner