From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Cc: ben@proximity.com.au, egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Building a cross compiler
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:10:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 09:50:13AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > > The big question is, how do I find a way to make libgcc1.a?
> >
> > In general writing libgcc1.a in assembler or just taking it from an
> > existing native gcc compile are the two options.
>
> The third one is if libgcc1 is written in asm in egcs or it can be
> compiled by egcs, you can set OLD_CC to "./xgcc -B./" and compile it
> by hand:
>
> # cd egcs/gcc
> # make libgcc1.a OLD_CC="./xgcc -B./"

If I remember right the gcc docs somewhere say that's not going to work
because the routines in libgcc1.a would be compiled into endless recursive
code.  Since it seems to be working for you, are the docs wrong?

> I have done that for Linux/x86. Maybe we should add something to
> egcs to do it automatically. It should be easy.

What functions from libgcc1.a are being used on Intel?  Could they somehow
be eleminated?  Life is so much sweeter without having to deal with
libgcc1.a.

  Ralf