* sparc64 changes and generic backend patches
@ 1998-05-03 14:56 Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1998-05-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

This weekend I merged the sparc64 work to support Sun's official,
though still unpublished, Sparc v9 ABI.

I went ahead and committed the bits under the sparc subdirectory.
This shouldn't affect sunos, solaris, or sparc-linux users.  It
will affect sparc64-linux users, but then yall have been waiting
on this for some time.

However, as-is it is fairly brittle, as there are generic backend
changes yet to be applied.  I present several of them here.

(1) Attachment 1 rewrites emit_group_load/store to handle all of the
    nifty structure size and alignment problems that do not affect the
    IRIX6 n64 ABI.  The canonical problem struct is

	struct foo { char x[7]; };

    which might live at page_boundary-7.  The old code would produce
    either an unaligned trap or a segmentation fault trying to load
    these bits into the single outgoing 64-bit register.

(2) Attachment 2 disables a check in reload not applicable to Sparc's
    32-bit FP regs when considered with a 64-bit word size.

(3) Attachment 3 contains a few unidentified fixes I found in my tree.
    Most of it consists of propogating a change made by Jeff

    Wed Dec 31 01:28:37 1997  Jeff Law  <law@cygnus.com>

	* expr.c (expand_expr): For {BITFIELD,COMPONENT,ARRAY}_REF, if the
	offset's mode is not ptr_mode, convert it.

    to the other similar cases in the same function.

    It also contains a change to store_expr that appears to be a typo.
    I can't remember the problem it caused, but I present it for your
    consideration.

In addition to this, there appear to be some reload problems that
were not present some months ago.  And some bad interactions with
SImode data in FP regs and the fact that user variables are subject
to promote_mode in stmt.c.  These are not addressed here.

r~