From: Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com>
To: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)
Cc: law@cygnus.com, scox@cygnus.com,
	crux@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de, egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: More fp bug in egcs
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 20:10:00 -0000	[thread overview]

	How does this patch look? It works for my test case.

A reload patch is not a safe way to fix this problem.  Your reload patch
affects all programs for all targets.  My patch affects only x86 programs
that currently fail.  Since my patch has much more limited scope, it is a
much better solution for a egcs-1.0.3 bug fix release.

	I think it is a reload bug. I don't know what the purpose to output the
	last reload for a dead register. I don't what the best solution is and
	I am not sure if my patch covers all cases.

I think it is more accurate to call it a `missed optimization' than a `bug',
as the output is correct.  The only reason it fails on the x86 is because of
a i386.md bug which my patch fixes.

While it may be useful to add this optimization, I don't think that egcs-1.0.3
is the proper place to try it.  Especially considering how hard it is to get
reload patches right.

Jim