* Re: threadsafeness at egcs1.0.3 and 1.1
@ 1998-07-13 12:40 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-07-13 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scherrey; +Cc: egcs

> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 23:03:51 -0400
> From: Ben Scherrey <scherrey@gte.net>
> To: Mike Stump <mrs@wrs.com>
> CC: egcs@cygnus.com

> Whoa! Someone said manual. Where do I get one?????
> 	...or is this some kind of sick joke?

544 pages of manual, and you didn't read it all yet?  Talk about lead
a horse to water...  You can either order one from the FSF, or print
one up yourself.

The sources are in *.texi in the source tree.  I usually just refer to
the .texi file, as it is the more accurate and up-to-date.  I have a
printed copy from the FSF, if I want to do bulk reading or touch
paper.

To print it up yourself, you will need tex and a really good
(reliable) postscript printer (one that errors every 10 pages won't
cut it).

* Re: threadsafeness at egcs1.0.3 and 1.1
@ 1998-07-13 17:29 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-07-13 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drepper; +Cc: egcs

I don't have enough of a clue, I defer to your expertise.  Thanks for
the clue, I'll try and remember it.

@ 1998-07-13 15:28 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-07-13 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drepper, egcs

> To: egcs@cygnus.com
> Date: 10 Jul 1998 20:24:11 -0700
> From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
> Stamped: newsgate-cygnus

> martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis) writes:

> > int f()
> > {
> >   static int i = get_some_value();
> >   return i;
> > }

> long).  Plus there is the problem of handling this case if no
> threaded program is used.  (Note that it isn't possible to have a
> simple "not done"/"done" flag since the second thread arriving must
> not return from the get_some_value call until the first did and this
> requires interaction with the thread package.  Busy waiting is no
> option since the waiting thread might have a higher priority.)

No, this is defined in C++ as i having the value zero on the second
call until someone starts changing i.  The implementation is required
to not block, pend or busy wait.  We can extend this out to threaded
apps uniformly.  The setting and testing of the single flag that
controls initialization should be critical regioned.

But yes, even when we do all this, it doesn't have nice semantics in
beefy threaded programs, unless you use sigatomic_t and volatile.

* Re: threadsafeness at egcs1.0.3 and 1.1
@ 1998-07-10 13:03 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-07-10 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs, honus

> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 16:20:11 -0400
> From: Thomas Wagner <honus+egcs@cmu.edu>
> To: egcs@cygnus.com

> I haven't been able to find any information of the threadsafeness of
> C++ with v1.0.3.

EH is not thread safe in 1.0.3.  Use a snapshot, or 1.1.  Local static
objects are not thread safe in 1.0.3, nor in 1.1.

If your truely interested in this topic, you can collect the
information and put a new section into the manual...

* threadsafeness at egcs1.0.3 and 1.1
@ 1998-07-09 13:20 Thomas Wagner
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Wagner @ 1998-07-09 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I haven't been able to find any information of the threadsafeness of C++
with v1.0.3.  I know about the threadsafeness of the SGI STL, but what about
internal compiler issues like exceptions.  Are they threadsafe?  If not,
will they be in 1.1?

Thanks,
Tom
--
honus+@cmu.edu, Principal Software Engineer, the NetBill project
Information Networking Institute, Carnegie Mellon University