* GNU compatibility with HP-UX aC++
@ 1998-07-14 11:29 Nguyen, Tan
From: Nguyen, Tan @ 1998-07-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'egcs@cygnus.com'

Hello,

I would like to know if binaries/applications generated/built with GNU
compiler are compatible with HP-UX aC++.  If not, is there a newer
version of GCC that will be compatible?

Thank you.
Tan

* Re: GNU compatibility with HP-UX aC++
@ 1998-07-14 18:59 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-07-14 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nguyen, Tan; +Cc: 'egcs@cygnus.com'

  In message < 199807141829.LAA18004@ncr-sd.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM >you write:
  > Hello,
  >
  > I would like to know if binaries/applications generated/built with GNU
  > compiler are compatible with HP-UX aC++.  If not, is there a newer
  > version of GCC that will be compatible?
Sorry.

In general, it is not possible to mix output from different C++ compilers.
They typically differ in mangling schemes, vtable layouts and other areas.

jeff

* Re: GNU compatibility with HP-UX aC++
@ 1998-07-14 23:08 ` Martin von Loewis
From: Martin von Loewis @ 1998-07-14 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tann; +Cc: egcs

> I would like to know if binaries/applications generated/built with GNU
> compiler are compatible with HP-UX aC++.  If not, is there a newer
> version of GCC that will be compatible?

No. In general, two different C++ compilers are not binary-compatible.
There are many reasons for that: different class layout, different
virtual table structures, different mangling.

So if you have binary-only libraries compiled with aC++, you have to
ask the author to recompile with g++, or you have to use aC++
yourself.

For C code, things are better in general; I can't give a definite
answer for HP-UX, though.

Regards,
Martin