* undefined reference
@ 1998-07-19 14:26 Xiaomao Xiao
From: Xiaomao Xiao @ 1998-07-19 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi there:

I asked the sample question before.  But I'm afraid that I didn't state the
problem clearly.  I include the code which produced the 'undefined reference'
problem on my Linux box.

The program is as follows:

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

template <class T>
class MyTest
{
private:
  T data_;

public:
  MyTest(T data = 0)
  {
    data_ = data;
  }

  friend ostream & operator <<(ostream & out, const MyTest<T> & test);
};

template <class T>
ostream & operator <<(ostream & out, const MyTest<T> & test)
{
  out << setw(12);
  out << test.data_ << endl;

  return (out);
}

template class MyTest<float>;
template ostream & operator <<(ostream &, const MyTest<float> &);

main()
{
  MyTest<float> test;

  cout << test;

The error message is:
/tmp/cca005831.o: In function `operator<<(ostream &, MyTest<float> const &)':
/tmp/cca005831.o(.text+0x61): undefined reference to `operator<<(ostream &, smanip<int> const &)'

The compile command is:
gcc -fguiding-decls -fno-implicit-templates junk.cpp -L/usr/local/lib -lstdc++ -o junk

Could anybody tell me what I should do to make this piece of code work?  Thanks
in advance.

--

Xiaomao

Xiaomao (Mark) Xiao                  E-Mail: xiao@cmold.com
C-MOLD                                  TEL: (607) 257-4949 x 699
31 Dutch Mill Road                      FAX: (607) 257-6355
Ithaca, NY 14850                        URL: http://www.cmold.com

* Re: undefined reference
@ 1998-07-20 16:36 ` Martin von Loewis
From: Martin von Loewis @ 1998-07-20 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xiao; +Cc: egcs

> The error message is:
> /tmp/cca005831.o: In function `operator<<(ostream &, MyTest<float> const &)':
> /tmp/cca005831.o(.text+0x61): undefined reference to `operator<<(ostream &, smanip<int> const &)'

> The compile command is:
> gcc -fguiding-decls -fno-implicit-templates junk.cpp -L/usr/local/lib -lstdc++ -o junk
>
> Could anybody tell me what I should do to make this piece of code
> work?  Thanks in advance.

Omit both -fguiding-decls and -fno-implicit-templates when
compiling. You should not need them.

If you absolutely want to use explicit instantiation, please read the
g++ FAQ for details.

Regards,
Martin

* Re: undefined reference
@ 1998-07-21 17:06   ` Carlo Wood
From: Carlo Wood @ 1998-07-21 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin von Loewis; +Cc: egcs

| > =============================================================================
| > The error message is:
| > /tmp/cca005831.o: In function `operator<<(ostream &, MyTest<float> const &)':
| > /tmp/cca005831.o(.text+0x61): undefined reference to `operator<<(ostream &, smanip<int> const &)'
| >
| > =============================================================================
| > The compile command is:
| > gcc -fguiding-decls -fno-implicit-templates junk.cpp -L/usr/local/lib -lstdc++ -o junk
| >
| > Could anybody tell me what I should do to make this piece of code
| > work?  Thanks in advance.
|
| Omit both -fguiding-decls and -fno-implicit-templates when
| compiling. You should not need them.
|
| If you absolutely want to use explicit instantiation, please read the
| g++ FAQ for details.
|
| Regards,
| Martin

This has nothing to do with -fno-implicit-templates.

Note that -fno-implicit-templates has been broken since gcc-2.8.x.
I used it with gcc-2.7, but with gcc-2.8 and egcs it is impossible to use.

I am sorry to realize that I am too much de-motivated to write a
bug report due to the fact that my last bug report / request for hints
( http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-patches/1998-Jul/0330.html ) is completely
ignored :( by the C++ guru's on this list.  So much for "open development".

--
 Carlo Wood  <carlo@runaway.xs4all.nl>

* Re: undefined reference
@ 2002-02-28  1:43 ` Paolo Carlini
From: Paolo Carlini @ 2002-02-28  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc

gcc@ras.tmfweb.nl wrote:

>hello,
>
>I have troubles with my GCC 2.95 compiler, to compile standard math functions such as sin and tan.
>
>Do you know how to solve this?

Please address preferentially this kind of questions to gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Are you including in your command line -lm ?

P.

* undefined reference
@ 2002-02-28  1:11 gcc
From: gcc @ 2002-02-28  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

hello,

I have troubles with my GCC 2.95 compiler, to compile standard math functions such as sin and tan.

Do you know how to solve this?

My greetings,

Roelof

* Re: Undefined reference
@ 2001-11-12 11:35   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-11-12 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince; +Cc: SUGIMOTO, Manabu, gcc

On Nov 21, 2001, "Tim Prince" <tprince@computer.org> wrote:

> gcc-2.96 is a proprietary redhat version.

The fact that it is not one version of GCC released by the Free
Software Foundation doesn't make it proprietary.  It's just as Free
Software as any other version of GCC ever released.

Oh, and it's Red Hat (note the blank), not redhat.

* Re: Undefined reference
@ 2001-11-11 10:43 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-11-11 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SUGIMOTO, Manabu, gcc; +Cc: sugimoto

gcc-2.96 is a proprietary redhat version.  Your errors appear to indicate
that you have not installed all required libraries.   On both counts, your
question falls outside the purview of any gcc mailing list.
From: SUGIMOTO, Manabu @ 2001-11-11  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: sugimoto

@ 1998-11-05  5:10 Ulrich Czekalla
From: Ulrich Czekalla @ 1998-11-05  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi Everyone,

I wrote a class wrapper around the linux socket calls and compiled them
as a shared library;

egcs -shared -fpic -o libsl.so socket.cc

When I link it with an application which uses it I get

undefined reference to 'CSocket::Listen(int (*)(void *))'

CSocket::Listen is one of the member functions I wrote. If I don't use
this function, everything works fine. I know this function is defined.
Are there flags to the compiler or export tags which I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Ulrich
--
/*****************************************************
 * Ulrich Czekalla                                   *

* Re: undefined reference
@ 1998-07-23 17:41 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-07-23 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carlo, martin; +Cc: egcs

> From: Carlo Wood <carlo@runaway.xs4all.nl>
> To: martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis)
> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:43:27 +0200 (CEST)

> I am sorry to realize that I am too much de-motivated to write a bug
> report due to the fact that my last bug report / request for hints
> ( http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-patches/1998-Jul/0330.html ) is
> completely ignored :( by the C++ guru's on this list.  So much for
> "open development".

I think it should be added to the g++.law directory...  Also, is it
missing the fact that we expect it to fail?  If it ever worked (in 2.7
for example) then it is ok as is.  If it never worked, my preference
is for it to be marked as expected to fail.

Law and or Jason will have to comment on why it isn't in...  Be kind
to them, sometimes the roles of maintainer is a hard thankless job.
In this case, we can just ask that it be added again.