* which g++ ?
@ 1998-11-08 20:53 Takuya Kobayashi
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Takuya Kobayashi @ 1998-11-08 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hello.  This is probably a stupid question to ask, and I'm embarrased to
ask, but anyway...

I run Linux (Redhat 4.2) and recently installed egcs 1.1b on my system
and had no problems with the installation.  But I have one question:
now I have a "g++" binary in both /usr/bin (which was there originally,
obviously) and /usr/local/bin (from the egcs installation).  Say I type
something simple like this at the command line:

	g++ main.cpp -o main

Which "g++" am I invoking?  Does one override the other?  It seems like
a stupid question, but nevertheless I needed to know, so....

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks ahead of time.

Takuya Kobayashi
University of Texas at Austin - http://www.utexas.edu

* Re: which g++ ?
@ 1998-11-09  2:35 ` Gerald Pfeifer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-11-09  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takuya Kobayashi; +Cc: egcs

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Takuya Kobayashi wrote:
> 	g++ main.cpp -o main
>
> Which "g++" am I invoking?  Does one override the other?  It seems like
> a stupid question, but nevertheless I needed to know, so....

As a matter of fact, this is a very basic Unix question and not the kind
of question to ask to the egcs lists.

Anyway, please try the commands
  man which
and
  which g++
to get the information you've been looking for.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* which g++ ?
@ 1998-11-09 13:30 ` Gavin Romig-Koch
From: Gavin Romig-Koch @ 1998-11-09 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takuya Kobayashi

Takuya Kobayashi writes:
 > 	g++ main.cpp -o main
 >
 > Which "g++" am I invoking?  Does one override the other?  It seems like
 > a stupid question, but nevertheless I needed to know, so....

Your question isn't stupid, just asked in the wrong forum.  Your question
has more to do with how Unix works, or more specifically how the typical
Unix command line shell works.  I'd strongly recommend a good book on
Unix (or perhaps there's something online these days).

It is likely that your using Bash as your shell.  If so, you can
find the answer to your question in the Bash man page,
type "man bash", under the section entitled "COMMAND EXECUTION",
particularly the use of the PATH shell variable.  Also, if you
are running Bash, the command "type g++" will tell you where
g++ is found.  If you are not running Bash, the above may help
anyway, this behavior is very standard across all unix shells.

Finally, like most GNU tools, g++ supports the --version option:

     g++ --version

will print out the version of g++ that gets run.  If you know the
version of g++ that comes with your version of RedHat, and the
version of g++ that you installed, you can use this to tell what's
actually getting run.

Good luck.

                                           -gavin...

* egcs on mipsel?
@ 1998-11-09 14:34   ` Greg
From: Greg @ 1998-11-09 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

In case my last message didn't get through...

I'm not having luck getting egcs-1.1b to build on a Cobalt Qube, which
uses a Little Endian MIPS processor. Is this an impossible task? Or is it
something that is in the works? Or has anyone done it?

I'd like to see patches, rpms, or comments on this.

Or.. is this just a dead end trying to get this to work?

* Re: which g++ ?
@ 1998-11-12  1:09 ` Martin Kahlert
From: Martin Kahlert @ 1998-11-12  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takuya Kobayashi; +Cc: egcs

Quoting Takuya Kobayashi (tictak@mail.utexas.edu):
> g++ main.cpp -o main
>
> Which "g++" am I invoking?  Does one override the other?  It seems like
> a stupid question, but nevertheless I needed to know, so....
Type:

which g++
and the shell should tell you

Bye,
Martin.

--
Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
to take effect. Reboot now?

* Re: which g++ ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-12-09  7:02 ` siliconjackal
From: siliconjackal @ 1998-12-09  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 06:59:51PM -0600, Takuya Kobayashi wrote:
> Which "g++" am I invoking?  Does one override the other?  It seems like
> a stupid question, but nevertheless I needed to know, so....

to find out which g++ you are envoking:
% which g++ # assuming Bourne-like shell

Then to get the version of g++, type:
% g++ --version

I hope this answers your query.