* ftp error on cambridge.cygnus.com
@ 1998-12-07 13:39 Les Schaffer
From: Les Schaffer @ 1998-12-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

i have tried to ftp egcs from the cambridge.cygnus.com site as per your
download web page.but i continually get a failureto complete the login
when i use ncftp.

the reported error is:

ncftp> open egcs
Connecting to
192.80.44.1...
tweedledumb.cygnus.com FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
Logging
in...
Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Logged in to
cambridge.cygnus.com.
Could not get remote working directory: server said: .

can this be fixed so that downloads can be done with a reasonable ftp
client rather than netscape?

thanks....
--
____ Les Schaffer godzilla@netmeg.net ___| --->> Engineering R&D <<---
Theoretical & Applied Mechanics          |  Designspring, Inc.

* Re: ftp error on cambridge.cygnus.com
@ 1998-12-07 14:19 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-07 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Les Schaffer; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 366C4AC2.7FD03F04@netmeg.net >you write:
  > i have tried to ftp egcs from the cambridge.cygnus.com site as per your
  > download web page.but i continually get a failureto complete the login
  > when i use ncftp.
  >
  > the reported error is:
  >
  > ncftp> open egcs
  > Connecting to
  > 192.80.44.1...
  > tweedledumb.cygnus.com FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
  > Logging
  > in...
  > Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
  > Logged in to
  > cambridge.cygnus.com.
  > Could not get remote working directory: server said: .
  >
  > can this be fixed so that downloads can be done with a reasonable ftp
  > client rather than netscape?
If I had a clue what the problem was, then I'd try:

Connected to tweedledumb.cygnus.com.
220 tweedledumb.cygnus.com FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
Name (cambridge.cygnus.com:law): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd pub
cd 250 CWD command successful.
ftp> egcs
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 3
-rw-rw-r--  1 253      1002          890 Sep  3 05:46 README
drwxrwxr-x  2 253      1002          512 Dec  4  1997 infrastructure
drwxrwxr-x  3 253      1002          512 Dec  4 07:05 releases
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> cd releases
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 7
drwxr-xr-x  2 220      1002         1536 Dec  4 07:35 egcs-1.1.1
-rw-rw-r--  1 253      1002         5051 Dec  4 07:05 index.html
226 Transfer complete.

It works for a traditional ftp client, netscape, I don't see anything weird
with the cambridge setup.  I don't know what to do.

jeff

* Re: ftp error on cambridge.cygnus.com
@ 1998-12-08 12:15   ` Marc Lehmann
From: Marc Lehmann @ 1998-12-08 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 03:18:18PM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   In message < 366C4AC2.7FD03F04@netmeg.net >you write:
>   > i have tried to ftp egcs from the cambridge.cygnus.com site as per your
>   > download web page.but i continually get a failureto complete the login
>   > when i use ncftp.
>   >
>   > the reported error is:
>   >
>   > ncftp> open egcs
>   > Connecting to
>   > 192.80.44.1...
>   > tweedledumb.cygnus.com FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
>   > Logging
>   > in...
>   > Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
>   > Logged in to
>   > cambridge.cygnus.com.
>   > Could not get remote working directory: server said: .
>   >
>   > can this be fixed so that downloads can be done with a reasonable ftp
>   > client rather than netscape?
> If I had a clue what the problem was, then I'd try:

I guess "pwd" doesn't work (ncftp does this). Are the permissions
on all paths correct (i.e. rx?)

In any case, ncftp users can ignore that error safely.

      -----==-                                              |
      ----==-- _                                            |
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __       Marc Lehmann       +--
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@goof.com       |e|
      -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\                          --+
    The choice of a GNU generation                        |

* Re: ftp error on cambridge.cygnus.com
@ 1998-12-09 15:53     ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-12-09 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Lehmann; +Cc: egcs, nocturne

Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 03:18:18PM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> >

> >   In message < 366C4AC2.7FD03F04@netmeg.net >you write:
> >   > i have tried to ftp egcs from the cambridge.cygnus.com site as per your
> >   > download web page.but i continually get a failureto complete the login
> >   > when i use ncftp.
> >   >
> >   > the reported error is:
> >   >
> >   > ncftp> open egcs
> >   > Connecting to
> >   > 192.80.44.1...
> >   > tweedledumb.cygnus.com FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
> >   > Logging
> >   > in...
> >   > Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> >   > Logged in to
> >   > cambridge.cygnus.com.
> >   > Could not get remote working directory: server said: .
> >   >
> >   > can this be fixed so that downloads can be done with a reasonable ftp
> >   > client rather than netscape?
> > If I had a clue what the problem was, then I'd try:
>
> I guess "pwd" doesn't work (ncftp does this). Are the permissions
> on all paths correct (i.e. rx?)

The permissions are correct, however, the ftpd we're using calls
getcwd, which calls popen("pwd"), which tries to invoke "/bin/sh -c
pwd", and after chroot into ~ftp there is no /bin/sh.

We could use getwd, but it takes no length argument, so we'd have to
check that the SunOS implementation has no buffer overflow problems.
Maybe we can grab the newlib getcwd instead.

Sigh.
For now, yes, just ignore the problem.