* Re: Interrupt handler attribute for m68k
@ 1998-12-16 10:16 John Breen
From: John Breen @ 1998-12-16 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
>  > [...]  Which one would be the best to use as a model?
>Not sure.  Probably whichever port has code which most closely
>matches the m68k's prologue/epilogue code.

Maybe I'm being naive about this.  From what I've been told, people
currently use a wrapper like this for interrupts on m68k:

        movem.l %d0-%d1/%a0-%a1,-(%sp)
        jsr     c_function
        movem.l (%sp)+,%d0-%d1/%a0-%a1
        rte

My plan was simply to have the prologue code save these registers also
if it's an interrupt handler, and the epilogue restore them and do an
rte instead of an rts.  The rest of the prologue/epilogue code would
stay the same.

If it takes much more than that, then I'm probably in over my head.
--
John A. Breen
jab3@hotmail.com

* Re: Interrupt handler attribute for m68k
@ 1998-12-15 14:31 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-15 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: jab3, egcs

  In message < 199812152228.OAA06506@kankakee.wrs.com >you write:
  > > Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:57:06 -0700
  > > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>
  >
  > > "__interrupt_handler__" was mandated by external forces :(
  >
  > I would mandate people use
  >
  > #define __interrupt__ __interrupt_handler__
  >
  > if they want this, I think egcs should be consistent and less subject
  > to `bad' decisions.  I think we should be willing to accept a fix for
  > this.
I don't see the need.

This is a *MACHINE DEPENDENT* attribute.

I'll happily accept "__interrupt__" as a synonym, but I don't see the need
to be so rigid as to force folks to change code because we want all the
machine dependent attributes to look the same.

jeff

* Re: Interrupt handler attribute for m68k
@ 1998-12-15 14:28 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-12-15 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jab3, law; +Cc: egcs

@ 1998-12-15 13:58 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-15 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Breen; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 19981215214326.22090.qmail@hotmail.com >you write:
  > I was thinking of trying my hand at implementing an attribute for
  > specifying interrupt handlers for the m68k.  I see that it's been done
  > for a handful of processors, but they all seem to do things a little
  > differently.  Which one would be the best to use as a model?
Not sure.  Probably whichever port has code which most closely matches the
m68k's prologue/epilogue code.

  > The first question that occurs to me is what should the attribute be
  > called?  Most seem to use __interrupt__, although one appeared to use
  > __interrupt_handler__.  Then again, Motorola (at least) uses the more
  > general term "exception", although I'll be happy to stick with
  > __interrupt__ if it will minimize confusion.
Use "__interrupt__".

@ 1998-12-15 13:43 John Breen
From: John Breen @ 1998-12-15 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I was thinking of trying my hand at implementing an attribute for
specifying interrupt handlers for the m68k.  I see that it's been done
for a handful of processors, but they all seem to do things a little
differently.  Which one would be the best to use as a model?

The first question that occurs to me is what should the attribute be
called?  Most seem to use __interrupt__, although one appeared to use
__interrupt_handler__.  Then again, Motorola (at least) uses the more
general term "exception", although I'll be happy to stick with
__interrupt__ if it will minimize confusion.

Also, if anyone else is currently working on this (or started but put it
on the shelf), let me know.
--
John A. Breen
jab3@hotmail.com